Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've already got a good random orbital sander that serves me well for most the work I do. However, I'm going to be refinishing some furniture, and a round random orbital just won't be very useful for getting into small corners. Which leads me to my question:

What do you prefer for detail sanding, a quarter sheet sander or a mouse sander and why? The quarter sheets will be cheaper to use since the paper is cheaper, and there are a few decent models out there, but I've heard many people complain of issues with the paper clamps failing, and do wonder how effective they are for getting into tight corners and smaller spaces. The mouse sanders are a bit more expensive for the paper due to the hook and loop attachment (just like my RO), but sound like they MIGHT be more nimble.

Can anyone give me some first hand advice on this? I greatly appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I'm currently sanding 12 window casings that are already installed and need to be stained.

I started with hand sanding and it took about an hour to do one window and I still didn't like the results.

I then resorted to power tools..............:thumbsup:
I used my ROS for the flats.
I then used my Fein Multimaster to get in the tight corners.

It's taking me about 5-7 minutes per window....no swirls-no scratches....

A 1/4 sheet sander won't get into the tight spots.
...........it also leaves swirl marks when staining........

If you're gonna do stuff...get the tools....it's half the fun:shifty:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I recently had a similar quandary. I already had both a ROS and a 1/4 sheet sander and was doing smaller boxes. The ROS won't do inside corners and the 1/4 sheet goes through paper fast. I picked up a Ryobi Corner Cat for pretty cheap ($30) and it did the inside corners very nicely.

One caveat: If I wasn't careful, the sanding pad could contact the adjacent vertical sides of the corner, leaving marks in the wood. Now that I'm aware of the problem, it's easy to avoid. Whether the B&D Mouse or Skil Octo have the same situation, I don't know.

A multimaster or other multi-tools will do corners, but they won't fit inside smaller boxes.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts