Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(That would be around 750 miles) A while ago my sister called and told me that her neighbour had a felled pear tree and wondered if I was interested in the wood. Of course I was interested, pear wood is a wonderful wood and impossible to find were I live. Any pear tree surviving here won't grow to any millable dimensions. Ony problem is that she lives 600 km south of me.

On the other hand, who can pass on free wood and since I hadn't seen my sister and brother in law for a while I decided to go. I loaded up a couple of chain saws and my Alaska mill and hit the road.

What I found was this. A gigantic trunk and a large pile of brances. I realized that I would have to forget about the trunk, the Alaska mill looked redicolous compared with it, so I concentrated on the branches.
01.jpg

The tree had been lying on the ground for a while so some of it was rotten, some was cracked and some was too crooked. However I was able to sort out the best pieces and milled them to managable planks. I also got some bowl blanks. The wood is beautiful and in addition to this pile my brother in law happened to have some apple wood and oak that I milled too.
02.jpg

This is the apple jungle were the trees come from.
03.jpg

During my stay there happened to be a plowing contest in a nearby town (Swedish Plowing Championships) so we went to see it. There were three classes - horses, vintage tractors and modern tractors. It was nice weather and we had a great day.

Horses on the go...
04.jpg

.... and work done.
05.jpg

Some more to follow....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vintage tractors on the starting line
06.jpg

1934 Case running on wood gas
07.jpg

As straight as it gets
08.jpg

Modern tractors on the go
09.jpg

Work done and ready to go home in style
10.jpg

Sooo... was it worth the 1,200 km trip? Well, a nice pile of beautiful wood, some apple juice with brandy, horses, tractors and a year supply of apples - who could ask for anything more?

·
7,222 Posts
Looks like a worthwhile trip to me. :thumbsup:

I picked up my first piece of pear a few months ago. A person was moving to New York and had to sell all of his wood.

The piece was about 3 x 3 in (75 x 75 mm) and about 3 ft (1m) long.

I cut off a short piece last week, just to see how it turns. The person who sold it to me said it was hard. He was correct. You will need sharp tools, and they will not stay sharp for long.

I got my short piece round and put this aside until I decide how I will use it.

The grain on this piece is nothing special. Colour is a light brown.

This would have been good for a mallet.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Sounds like a great trip and I loved the photos.
Man that’s just so cool to be able to mill a log on site like that. I wish there were trees around here so I could do that.
The plowing was interesting too. I once worked 3 weeks plowing an oat hay field and I thought it was a lot of fun for a city boy who had never before been on a tractor. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts