Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to make custom 0 clearance inserts for my new Rigid 10" table saw. The existing factory metal insert is 3/32" thick and it is just below the saw table surface. It looks like I should be able to use 1/8"/0.125 thick material and the insert will be flush with the surface of the table which will be good.

Question is whether to use a 1/8" piece of MDF material or 1/8" hardboard. Sees like the MDF with smooth top and bottom might be better and more stable. I will be recessing the screw heads in this material. Any suggestions?:

·
John
3,028 Posts
I used 3/8" lexan, mostly because I had it on hand. I put a rabbet around it until it set flush. You didn't say which Ridgid saw you had but I also had to relieve additional areas to provide clearance for the blade arbor bearing housing and riving knife bracket on my 4510.:smile:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a similar situation with my saw. I think anything recommended here so far will work. I would strongly caution against 1/8" thickness though. I used 3/16" hardboard for my first insert and it just doesn't have the stiffness. Not a big deal for most cuts, but can make life difficult when ripping thin pieces and on setups. Since then, I've gone with 1/2" mdf and routed a rabet to fit. I also rout a dado where the blade goes so I can set it in place before I turn the saw on. Maybe your blade will go down further so you can avoid that step though.

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
NO use a 3/4" piece of MDF or plywood or solid wood. You need something thick that won't flex when you slide your piece over it. All you need to do is rabbet the outside of the piece to fit the ledge of the throat. Take a look at my thread: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/excited-show-my-table-saw-mods-souped-up-58159/

Depending how intricate the throat design is you might need to cut it a few ways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply. What if the throat opening is only 1/8" thick? Are you saying to route a thicker piece where the 1/8" sits on the edges and then the thicker material just is below this so the overall thickness provides more stability?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another great photo. I just wasn't thinking. I saw the metal insert and was just trying to copy it. Makes sense to make it out of a more stable thicker piece and rabbet the edge. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts