Prepping Reclaimed Materials for Woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By WoodworkingTalk
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By BigJim

post #1 of 9 Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

View WoodworkingTalk's Photo Album My Photos
Prepping Reclaimed Materials for Woodworking

Quote:
Working with reclaimed materials for a woodworking project is a great way to incorporate the three “R’s” into your lifestyle: reduce, reuse and recycle. You’ll want to keep in mind that using salvaged lumber is not the same as buying new wood from a building supply store. You should be prepared to expect to run into one or more issues when working with reclaimed materials unless you prepare them properly. Here are a few suggestions to help ensure that your progress from lumber to finished project runs as smoothly as possible.
Read More:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/artic...r-woodworking/
trentwilson43056 likes this.

Follow WoodworkingTalk.com on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/woodworkingtalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
this is NOT a good idea...

Quoting the above:

Preserve the exterior surface and the end grain: Saw off any uneven board ends, then plane each side of the boards before running them through the jointer. These steps will put a nice, even finish on the lumber.

If you mean "hand plane" then that's a different story, but even a small nail will ruin a beautiful edge on a hand plane. If you mean use a thickness planer, then it is NOT a good idea what so ever. It's best to cut away any potential pieces with nails. You will also lose any patina, coloration and texture which are often the reasons for using reclaimed lumber in the first place.
If running the boards through the thickness planer to clean them up or make them a uniform thickness is the goal, then that's a different issue.
Cricket likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 9 Old 10-15-2016, 02:04 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If you can reuse material "as is" it is probably worth it, hitting hidden objects, nails, stones, etc. can be an expensive proposition when running it through your machinery.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Quoting the above:

Preserve the exterior surface and the end grain: Saw off any uneven board ends, then plane each side of the boards before running them through the jointer. These steps will put a nice, even finish on the lumber.

If you mean "hand plane" then that's a different story, but even a small nail will ruin a beautiful edge on a hand plane. If you mean use a thickness planer, then it is NOT a good idea what so ever. It's best to cut away any potential pieces with nails. You will also lose any patina, coloration and texture which are often the reasons for using reclaimed lumber in the first place.
If running the boards through the thickness planer to clean them up or make them a uniform thickness is the goal, then that's a different issue.
You can run reclaimed wood through a thickness planer to get an even thickness without ruining the look. You just have to limit your planing to the bottom side of the wood. I have done it, don't like to but I will.

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2016, 01:41 AM

View Phill Monson's Photo Album My Photos
Curious about sanding - is this recommended for all reclaimed wood? Im wanting to make an accent wall out of wood I got from a 120 year old barn, and the last thing I want to do is take away the look and character of the wood.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Monson View Post
Curious about sanding - is this recommended for all reclaimed wood? Im wanting to make an accent wall out of wood I got from a 120 year old barn, and the last thing I want to do is take away the look and character of the wood.
No, you don't have to sand the wood. It's just a lot of people want to give the wood a more finished look as though it was new wood.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 AM

View trentwilson43056's Photo Album My Photos
My new shed smells like an old barn inside.lol https://www.facebook.com/trent.wilso...6249946&type=3
Attached Images

post #8 of 9 Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
The only caution I can add is be sure your reclaimed pallets weren't used to store dangerous chemicals etc on. Cutting, planing and sanding can make dangerous chemicals airborne to be breathed.
trentwilson43056 likes this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM

View Don Stephenson's Photo Album My Photos
My new barn smells like an old barn...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5179.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	274033  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	274049  

Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode