Have You Converted A Garage Into a Workshop? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By Bob Vaughan

post #1 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Have You Converted A Garage Into a Workshop?

Have You Converted A Garage Into a Workshop?-convertworkshop.jpg

Quote:
Converting your garage into a workshop can be done on a budget, but you need to have the essentials to work comfortably and safely. Appropriate outlets in the right spots, adequate lighting, proper ventilation, security to keep your tools and equipment safe and some source of climate control are really just the essential features to turn your garage from an occasional project space to a full-time workspace. Converting your Garage into a Workshop
Have you converted a garage into a workshop? Any tips to share?

"Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Yes! Attached two car garage, about 20x20, now fully insulated and climate controlled with new subpanel and plenty of power available for all the tools in what is now a dedicated shop.

We added plenty of lighting, good dust control, decent work flow, and the insulation ensures very little shop noise can be heard outside.

Best tip? Make sure your spouse is on board! Prior to her leaving for work I warm her car in the winter, make sure there's no ice on the windows, and walk her out with an umbrella if it's raining. This time of year I get the dew off the windows so she can see and be safe.

David
woodnthings, Scurvy and Cricket like this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have a garage that I use as a workshop. It is about 22" wide by 34' long. As with David's garage there is lots of light and plenty of power outlets. All insulated with 2 a.c units if needed. Normally only 1 is used.

1 SUV'S normally live in this space. The big tools stay against the wall. When I have a project to build the vehicles are moved outside and the tools moved into their work positions.

All this works well together.

george
Cricket likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 02:45 AM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Insulated 24x24 finished, attached garage in the new house I bought when I moved 350 mi. to be near my granddaughter 2-1/2 yrs ago. It was neither heated or cooled. I moved in, in Sept. Prior to that first winter, I have a ceiling heater so that I could keep it moderately warmed for my machine tools. It had its work cut out for it, as there was a sustained period of about 2-wks. in Dec. with temps around -15-16º F.

It had adequate electrical for 110v service, but I needed 220v, so I had circuits added when the heater went in. I have a phase converter for the metal lathe and VFD on the vertical mill, so I didn't need 3-phase run in, even though it is on the poles along my street.

Prior to the first summer, I had a split-system heat pump put in, so now the shop, er, I mean garage... is a pretty even temp of 69-72º F. Half is my metal working area with my workbench. Some is storage shelves, some is my granddaughter's play area and some is my woodworking area. Machines are either along the wall on mobile stands or tucked away like my Sawstop Jobsite saw.

If I had to, I could still get my car into the garage. I think I could not open the doors, however.

Rick

"If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 PM

View Bob Vaughan's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure the bottoms of all electrical receptacles are at 4'-2" off the finished floor.
That way, plywood stacked against he wall won't cover the receptacle.
Scurvy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode