Woodworking Talk banner

Have You Converted A Garage Into a Workshop?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  difalkner 
#1 ·
Carpenter Wood Table Artisan woodworking

Converting your garage into a workshop can be done on a budget, but you need to have the essentials to work comfortably and safely. Appropriate outlets in the right spots, adequate lighting, proper ventilation, security to keep your tools and equipment safe and some source of climate control are really just the essential features to turn your garage from an occasional project space to a full-time workspace. Converting your Garage into a Workshop
Have you converted a garage into a workshop? Any tips to share?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes! Attached two car garage, about 20x20, now fully insulated and climate controlled with new subpanel and plenty of power available for all the tools in what is now a dedicated shop.

We added plenty of lighting, good dust control, decent work flow, and the insulation ensures very little shop noise can be heard outside.

Best tip? Make sure your spouse is on board! :D Prior to her leaving for work I warm her car in the winter, make sure there's no ice on the windows, and walk her out with an umbrella if it's raining. This time of year I get the dew off the windows so she can see and be safe.

David

#3 ·
I have a garage that I use as a workshop. It is about 22" wide by 34' long. As with David's garage there is lots of light and plenty of power outlets. All insulated with 2 a.c units if needed. Normally only 1 is used.

1 SUV'S normally live in this space. The big tools stay against the wall. When I have a project to build the vehicles are moved outside and the tools moved into their work positions.

All this works well together.

george

#4 ·
Insulated 24x24 finished, attached garage in the new house I bought when I moved 350 mi. to be near my granddaughter 2-1/2 yrs ago. It was neither heated or cooled. I moved in, in Sept. Prior to that first winter, I have a ceiling heater so that I could keep it moderately warmed for my machine tools. It had its work cut out for it, as there was a sustained period of about 2-wks. in Dec. with temps around -15-16º F.

It had adequate electrical for 110v service, but I needed 220v, so I had circuits added when the heater went in. I have a phase converter for the metal lathe and VFD on the vertical mill, so I didn't need 3-phase run in, even though it is on the poles along my street.

Prior to the first summer, I had a split-system heat pump put in, so now the shop, er, I mean garage... is a pretty even temp of 69-72º F. Half is my metal working area with my workbench. Some is storage shelves, some is my granddaughter's play area and some is my woodworking area. Machines are either along the wall on mobile stands or tucked away like my Sawstop Jobsite saw.

If I had to, I could still get my car into the garage. I think I could not open the doors, however.

Rick

Reactions: difalkner
#6 ·
I have a small 1 car (14x22) garage that is old, non insulated and original cedar siding.
Ran electric to it and covered the interior walls with OSB years ago to add stability to the frame.
I just got into serious woodworking a few years ago and really turned it into a workable space.
I did not attempt to insulate at this time because we plan on moving real soon. Our 1st home since 1998.
Just trying to warm it with a small torpedo heater up here in Northeast Ohio.
I made a dust collection system using a heavy duty Shop Vac and Dust Separator for my table saw, router cabinet, planer, sanding setup, shop cleaning
I really hope I get the opportunity to setup a bigger garage someday that is dedicated to My Shop.

Attachments

#8 ·
For me, my first obstacle was where to put all of the non woodworking stuff. Mowers, snowblowers, chainsaws, lawn tools and chairs and on and on. So, I had to build 2 sheds to get stuff out of my soon to be shop space. One is for the wife, other for me.

Other than that it was standard carpentry work. Floor was 10 inches out of level and framing a floor over that was a bit challenging but doable. I also took out an existing staircase, just took up too much room. Use a ladder to get up to second floor storage that has an outside hatchway.

#11 · (Edited)
Nice looking shop, very clean and organized!

If you're using your phone take your photos landscape rather than portrait. Turn your phone CCW for proper orientation. It's not just this forum, that's the way the photos are encoded for orientation in your phone. Alternatively, you can open the photos in a viewer on your computer, rotate them to the correct orientation and save them that way and they'll be ok.

Or you can just get accustomed to landscape photos. :wink:

David

Edit - I fixed them for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.