• 4 Post By MT Stringer
  • 1 Post By Kyp
  • 2 Post By MT Stringer

post #1 of 17 Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Kyp

View Kyp's Photo Album My Photos
Workstation table question

Hey guys,
I am a new member here on the site and really enjoying the material. Very educational to say the least.
As I said I am new member and here is my introduction post to explain a little about myself.
So, if you read the my introduction post, you will see that I have a good bit of room in the shop.
I am wanting to make a work/assemble table on wheels that can also be used as an outfeed table for the table saw.

Here is the question....

I know that an empty shop will fill up fast when adding tools and equipment so with that being said, I have the room for a full 4x8 table for the aforementioned purpose. Is it wise to make a table this size or should I go with a little something smaller so that floor space doesn't become an issue? I am really not sure what i want/need but bigger isn't always better you know.

Anyway, just wondering what you guys thought about the table and its size.

Cheers!
Kyp

73!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I have three benches. Two are 4x8 and one is 42"x72". If you build something large like cabinets you need a 4x8 bench. The one I have that is 42"x72" has a 2" thick ash top on it with a woodworking vise on it. I mainly use it for wood carving but that size works great for small projects. One of the 4x8 benches has a 1 1/2" thick yellow pine top on it I build on and the other has a 3/4" plywood top which is covered with carpet. I use that table for sanding and repairing furniture. The carpet prevents furniture from being scratched.
Kyp likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-10-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Kyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
One of the 4x8 benches has a 1 1/2" thick yellow pine top on it I build on and the other has a 3/4" plywood top which is covered with carpet. I use that table for sanding and repairing furniture. The carpet prevents furniture from being scratched.
Great idea, didn't think about carpet for protection. I may have to look into this.
I can't say I am ready for the cabinet shop just yet but I hope to get there some day!!

So looks like the best option is 2 tables, one for dedicated outfeed & assembly, and another for delicate work when I am good enough to make something worth protecting it from getting scratched!!

Cheers!
Kyp

73!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-10-2017, 11:26 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
For a 4 X 8 Worktable/outfeed table I suggest the following:
Make the table height approximately 1/8" shorter than your tablesaw top height.
Locking casters will secure the position.
A laminated top is my preference but MDF is also a good top for sliding material on.
If you overhang the top 3" over the frame, it will make it really easy to clamp to the edge.
You're fortunate to have the shop space for this type table. No doubt it will be very useful to you.
Kyp likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 17 Old 09-10-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Kyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
For a 4 X 8 Worktable/outfeed table I suggest the following:
Make the table height approximately 1/8" shorter than your tablesaw top height.
Locking casters will secure the position.
A laminated top is my preference but MDF is also a good top for sliding material on.
If you overhang the top 3" over the frame, it will make it really easy to clamp to the edge.
You're fortunate to have the shop space for this type table. No doubt it will be very useful to you.
Yea, I think I will go with the full 4x8 work table. I was thinking something like a laminated MDF.
However I think I need to slow down a bit before I run myself out of room!
It's a 30x 40 shop, but I wish I would have went 40x50, its never big enough!

Cheers!
Kyp

73!
post #6 of 17 Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 AM

View CaptainMike's Photo Album My Photos
My two cents when you purchase large shop tools is to add the mobile base as well. I doesn't add that much to the cost and pays long term dividends.
Kyp likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Kyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMike View Post
My two cents when you purchase large shop tools is to add the mobile base as well. I doesn't add that much to the cost and pays long term dividends.
Morning Mike,
I will have to agree with you on that!
Cheers!
Kyp
CaptainMike likes this.

73!
post #8 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM

View PanelDeland's Photo Album My Photos
Build the out feed table on castors but build it 46X94. Then use a full sheet of ply with 3/4 blocks as stops for a carpeted topper. You can put the topper against the wall when not in use and still have a non mar surface for projects. That way 1 4x8 table does the work of 2.
Kyp likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 01:37 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I wish I had the restraint Y'all have in my old shops I had a 4x8 built on a welding iron frame, the problem was it was always so cluttered, so when I built the new shop I figured I would solve that problem and built a 5x12 bench. It didn't solve the problem, when they were going to spray my roof with foam I had to clear out some stuff, the worst was the bench top, I had so much $hit on it it took the longest time.I swore it would never get that cluttered again

That vow lasted about 2 weeks LOL
CaptainMike and Kyp like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Kyp

Catpower / PanelDeland
Thanks for the suggestions, I do plan on having a full 4X8 but undecided if I wanna go with 2X4 laminated, or plywood.
I kinda liked the "Paulk Bench" but want it in a 1 piece design, I like the storage but I would defiantly change the base/stand to something solid but not sure what I wanna do. While I am offshore, I feel I could build mountains, but when I get home and reality sets in, its a totally different story!

I have so much chit in my shop its pitiful, welding equipment and plumbing equipment....I really am a jack of all, master of none...
I have to ask myself, where am I going to put all the stuff that's currently in the shop when I start putting it all together??

So, When I get in, I will take some pictures of the inside and maybe you guys can give me some insight as to a good layout and so forth. I will start a new thread for that.

Cheers!
Kyp
Catpower likes this.

73!
post #11 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
Catpower / PanelDeland
I do plan on having a full 4X8 but undecided if I wanna go with 2X4 laminated, or plywood.
Kyp
Two layers of 3/4" 4 X 8 gives you a strong 1 1/2" top. If the top is screwed down, it can be removed and flipped over for a new clean table later on when it gets to looking bad.
Kyp likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #12 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Kyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Two layers of 3/4" 4 X 8 gives you a strong 1 1/2" top. If the top is screwed down, it can be removed and flipped over for a new clean table later on when it gets to looking bad.
True..

73!
post #13 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Catpower / PanelDeland
Thanks for the suggestions, I do plan on having a full 4X8 but undecided if I wanna go with 2X4 laminated, or plywood.
I kinda liked the "Paulk Bench" but want it in a 1 piece design, I like the storage but I would defiantly change the base/stand to something solid but not sure what I wanna do. While I am offshore, I feel I could build mountains, but when I get home and reality sets in, its a totally different story!

I have so much chit in my shop its pitiful, welding equipment and plumbing equipment....I really am a jack of all, master of none...
I have to ask myself, where am I going to put all the stuff that's currently in the shop when I start putting it all together??

So, When I get in, I will take some pictures of the inside and maybe you guys can give me some insight as to a good layout and so forth. I will start a new thread for that.

Cheers!
Kyp

You just need a bigger shop LOL

When we first moved here in 1995 there was nothing just 45 acres of dirt, we pulled in a single wide until we decided what we were going to do, so I built the first 30x50, thought it would last for a long time, then I got started collecting antique John Deere tractors, and out grew it fast so I added a 30x50 lean to on the back, things were better, then I bought some big machine tools to make some of the parts for the old Deere's, Me Deere uses no Vaseline on parts, so I needed to do something so I built the 30x50 for a dedicated wood working shop. Then we built the house in the back 40, and I had a 50x60 built, Momma decided she was commandeering, that shop so I built a 60x150 for welding/fab work

I finally got enough shop space LOL
post #14 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Kyp

Well, I would think about it but we may be building a house on a 20 acre lot my wife inherited.
I also have a 100 acre lot that I could build a house on but its way in the woods and the wife said no...

Currently, I live in town, hopefully the house will be build on the 20 acre lot and a lot bigger shop!

Just a thought:
I have a 5 acre patch of 100% cedar trees, not sure the species but I may look into harvesting some of that wood for a project....
Catpower likes this.

73!
post #15 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Take a look at mine.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...ew-work-bench/

It is 36 x 60. I am loving every bit of it. It is a combination of Ron Paulks Total Station
, Earl Davidson's modified version
and the roll paper project by Jay Bates

Note that I don't do much hand tool work so that is something to consider. But I have been building cabinets and other projects. I wouldn't change a thing about this set up.

Good luck.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-26 16.01.26.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	314674  

Name:	2016-12-24 13.58.11.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	314690  

Name:	2017-01-09 18.52.36.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	314698  

Attached Images

post #16 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Kyp

Awesome!
Yep, something lie that would work nicely.
All 3/4 ply or did I see some MDF in the mix?

As ToolMan50 said, about 1/8 shorter than my TS and we have a multi use table!

Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers!
Kyp
MT Stringer likes this.

73!
post #17 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Awesome!
Yep, something lie that would work nicely.
All 3/4 ply or did I see some MDF in the mix?

As ToolMan50 said, about 1/8 shorter than my TS and we have a multi use table!

Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers!
Kyp
All 3/4" plywood. Clamping possibilities out the wazoo!

Current cabinets. In the first picture note the 2x4 clamped to the table on the back side so the cabinet can't slide backwards as I attach the face frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-08-03 18.42.24.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	314706  

Attached Images

dusty roads and Kyp like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode