Working/cabinets plywood thickness - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

View Rhaugle's Photo Album My Photos
Title should be "workbench/cabinets..."

Hi all.. I'm going to be building Jay Bates' miter saw stand soon and curious on my plywood.. can I use 1/2 or should I stick with 3/4 like the plans say? I did email Jay with the same question, and he said 1/2 should be fine. Curious what y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-23-12-40-51_1553397786676.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	373491  

Last edited by Rhaugle; 03-23-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Not really enough information. 1/2" plywood isn't as strong as 3/4". It would depend on where you use the plywood and the spans.
woodnthings likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 07:52 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Need info on your box design.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 08:04 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, and No .....

First, determine the price difference between 1/2" and 3/4" per sheet.
Then determine the width of the cabinet and shelves. If the cabinet is 24" or less in width, 1/2" ply should work. If it's more than 24" then you need 3/4" up to 32" wide.

You can mix the 2 thicknesses, using 1/2" ply for the sides and back and 3/4" for the top, shelves and bottom, BUT that may be NOT economical in the long run. Just use 3/4" for everything. You will want to glue the back to the shelves and inset it into the top, sides, and bottom. This means the shelves will need to be "inset dimension" .... less wide. Actually, 3/4" on the back is a bit "overkill", but if you make a rabbet for your shelves, probably best. Otherwise, gluing and nailing on a 1/2", 3/8" or even 1/4" back will be fine.

The material thickness must fit the specific application in the project, thicker for shelves that sag under load, thinner for vertical supports.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-24-2019 at 09:43 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Why do you want to use 1/2"?

Hard to tell from a screen shot what the build info is. I've used 1/2" ply for cabinets in a van, worked fine, you have to understand the challenges with a thinner material.

If you are confident in your build skills to understand that, then use a thinner product, if you aren't then build it as the designer indicated, hard to believe you are savig much $$ with using 1/2" instead of 3/4".
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 12:35 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
It might help to know why you ask.

If you are trying to save money, it may be a false economy. Divide the difference in cost by the number of years you plan to use it. I would expect to use a miter saw stand for several decades at least. If the worst-case difference in cost is $30 and you use the miter saw stand for 30 years, that's $1 a year.

I vote for 3/4 inch plywood as originally specified.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode