Work Bench Build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

View tchara's Photo Album My Photos
Work Bench Build

Ok...here it is, my work bench project. The drawers slide in and out from both sides of the bench. I got this idea from a video Thom Rider posted on You Tube. The bench will be in the middle of the floor and I can access the drawers from both sides.

I haven't decided what to do with the middle yet. I'm thinking a shelf in the middle to help support and fix the slight bowing of the drawer frame. I want to store my HF belt & Disk Sander, and my Delta small belt sander. May put doors in the middle too.

I bought a 12 plug power strip on sale at HF for 17.99, ands will mount it on the front of the bench.

The retractable casters is my idea. I watched several Videos online, and didn't find any other ideas I liked. I wanted it simple, without a bunch of levers or hinges to get in the way. The bottom part of the caster assembly slide up and down the legs in dado grooves, and the cam system is two 3/4 plywood circles glued and screwed together with a 1" square tubing to turn with a crescent wrench.

I wanted to utilize a bunch of old stuff I had laying around, so it isn't real spit and polished, but it's just a work bench and not real concerned with aesthetics.

Let me know what you think, and what I might do to improve the design. I haven't decided yet what to do about a top. I have to stay around a 2" thickness, to keep the height in line with the height of my TS, so it can be used as an out feed too.
Attached Images

Last edited by tchara; 08-11-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
If I were you I would lose the idea that you need to slide the drawers both ways. It looks like your going to need a back side on them to keep it square. Because without it it won't be long before it starts to move. Also it seems a pain to have to close a drawer without a stop to shut it against.

When you put a vise on it you'll find yourself working from one side anyway.

Al

post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2015, 12:36 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Your retractable caster design is very innovative. Nice work.

As an alternative to Al B Thayer's full back idea, you could probably get away with gusseting the middle section or adding a back to it.

I agree that manually aligning the drawers would be a pain, but there are ways to make a drawer "stop" while keeping it accessible from both sides. A small hump like on a euro slide may work just fine to keep them in alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

View tchara's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=NickDIY;1061809]Your retractable caster design is very innovative. Nice work.

As an alternative to Al B Thayer's full back idea, you could probably get away with gusseting the middle section or adding a back to it.

I agree that manually aligning the drawers would be a pain, but there are ways to make a drawer "stop" while keeping it accessible from both sides. A small hump like on a euro slide may work just fine to keep them in alignment.[/QUOTE

That was also a concern of mine, that the drawers didn't have a stop. I'm not sure if it's going to be a concern or not. I did come up with an idea of drilling a small hole thru the drawer frame and an indent in the drawer. I could put a spring loaded steel ball thru the hole in the frame that would go into the indent in the drawer when it centered in the guide. If it proves to be a pain, I can always cross that bridge when I come to it.

I like the idea od putting backing in the middle to help stabilize the bench. It seems pretty stought now, but I can see where it could be a problem in the future. I went to Habitat For Humanity today and found a solid wood door for the top. Ot cost me 10.00. Also picked up a cabinet thats gonna work great for my router table, for 10.00
Attached Images

post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I immediately see three options for the center space.
1. Put a small air compressor or vacuum in the space.
2. Put shelving in the space for bulky tools.
3. My favorite. Build 5 more drawers for this space with the two top drawers being very shallow to hold small tools, pencils, measuring tapes, etc. And the 3 bottom drawers larger for hand planes and other tools.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
I vote 3. I never liked the pans on benchtops that fill up with dust and wood chips and having storage close at hand for marking & measuring tools is so convenient.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (08-13-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode