Wooden bench for cottage ideas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

View Richard Koop's Photo Album My Photos
Wooden bench for cottage ideas

I'm a pretty novice woodworker but fairly handy. I have the following tools.
- circular saw
- chop saw
- skil/jig saw
- a few chisels
- some drill bits up to about 1 1/2"

I have some beautiful cedar wood at my cottage that I was thinking about making benches for around the fire pit. I'd like them to be comfortable with a back rest and each bench having space for about 2 or 3 people. The cedar I have is...
- 6 6"x6"x8' posts
- 15 2"x4"x8" boards

Any thoughts on what I can build with these kinds of materials and tools? I don't have a router.

I was thinking about each end having an upside down 'U' with the posts, an angled back with a post and then drilling inside each end and chiseling out a area in the posts to insert 2"x4" boards (3 or 4 on the seat and 3 or 4 on the back). I think this will look fairly clean you can use the thicker posts on each end to rest drinks on.

I'm just not sure of a few things.
- how to I attach the 3 pieces for the base (upside down 'U') considering the posts are 6"x6"?
- how do I attach the post back rest to the base at an angle to make it strong?

Any ideas or links to images/designs would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 PM

View grantcarmichael's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Koop View Post
I'm a pretty novice woodworker but fairly handy. I have the following tools.
- circular saw
- chop saw
- skil/jig saw
- a few chisels
- some drill bits up to about 1 1/2"

I have some beautiful cedar wood at my cottage that I was thinking about making benches for around the fire pit. I'd like them to be comfortable with a back rest and each bench having space for about 2 or 3 people. The cedar I have is...
- 6 6"x6"x8' posts
- 15 2"x4"x8" boards

Any thoughts on what I can build with these kinds of materials and tools? I don't have a router.

I was thinking about each end having an upside down 'U' with the posts, an angled back with a post and then drilling inside each end and chiseling out a area in the posts to insert 2"x4" boards (3 or 4 on the seat and 3 or 4 on the back). I think this will look fairly clean you can use the thicker posts on each end to rest drinks on.

I'm just not sure of a few things.
- how to I attach the 3 pieces for the base (upside down 'U') considering the posts are 6"x6"?
- how do I attach the post back rest to the base at an angle to make it strong?

Any ideas or links to images/designs would be much appreciated.
Hi Richard, any progress with the benches? I'm interested in doing some cedar benches for my back porch as well. Did you find any plans?

Grant
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

View Richard Koop's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantcarmichael View Post
Hi Richard, any progress with the benches? I'm interested in doing some cedar benches for my back porch as well. Did you find any plans?

Grant
Grant,
I tried some things with the 6"x6" posts but found they were too difficult to work with. I'll probably find something with the 2"x4" boards for the frame. I found https://www.pinterest.com was the best site for ideas (search wood benches).

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM

View grantcarmichael's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Koop View Post
Grant,
I tried some things with the 6"x6" posts but found they were too difficult to work with. I'll probably find something with the 2"x4" boards for the frame. I found https://www.pinterest.com was the best site for ideas (search wood benches).

Richard
I'll check out https://www.pinterest.com I was also looking at http://www.houzz.com/ which has a few ideas. I may pick one out and draw it up in sketchup.

Last edited by grantcarmichael; 08-23-2016 at 08:42 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2016, 09:05 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Some years ago I made a few Leopold benches as gifts. People really like them. Simple and comfortable. But made with 2x, not 6x.

Last edited by gj13us; 08-23-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Tags
bench, wooden

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode