Wood equipment height - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By DrRobert
  • 1 Post By JohnGi

post #1 of 8 Old 02-08-2020, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

View Scruffer49's Photo Album My Photos
Wood equipment height

Hello everyone, newbie here, (retired)

I setting up my woodworking shop. I am just a hobbyist and my shop is approximately 1500 sq ft. I have a cabinet tablesaw with an extension table, 8" jointer, 12" miter saw, radial arm saw, two bandsaws (17" & 12"), shaper, and portable planer and various other tools. The bandsaws and radial arm saw I have grouped together at the same height. I was thinking about arranging the jointer, miter saw station, and shaper on the discharge side of the tablesaw outfeed table at the same height (using each machine's table as infeed & run-off platforms). My outfeed table is large enough where it would not interfere with any operation of the tablesaw. The working height is 35" and I would probably make a walking platform for the jointer. I am not worried about a trip hazard. Basically I am thinking of using the tools as table platforms for each other without interfering with there operations. I am not going to be specific woodworking. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-08-2020, 09:15 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Using machines with fences? then you have to remove the fence and guard on jointer.

Seems awkward to me. Thats a very nice sized shop you have the room, to I would go with a dedicated outfeed table. You can build it out underneath to store blades and accessories.

I would add an assembly table the same height as the table saw is quite handy to use either to the side or in front when dealing with sheet goods or a large panel.
woodnthings and difalkner like this.

Robert
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! Add your first name to your signature line so we'll know what to call you. Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

Like Robert said, that's a really nice sized shop! I also would opt for not having to move fences and guards out of the way. You've got the room to not have to do that.

Btw, we do like photos so show us your 1,500 sq. ft. shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2020, 10:58 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The fences will interfere with outfeeding .....

They will have to be removed when feeding out of the table saw. I feel a dedicated outfeed/assembly table would be a much better deal in that size shop. You don't have to skimp on floor space with 1500 sq ft!

My shop is about 900 sq ft, and I use a combination outfeed/assembly/work table that's about 48" deep and 10 ft long. That length is because I have 3 table saws attached together to form a very wide single unit. I use 3 separate fences for each saw, a dado set, a combination blade, and a rip blade. There is also a cast iron router table extension on the far right side with it's own fence. This is quite handy and is my "third" router table. The other two are free standing. I'm blade changing averse, so I have more than one of table saws, router tables and bandsaws, even in my size shop, it works, well.

Each shop layout is so specific it's difficult to give appropriate advice. Personal wok practices enter into it as well as the type and number of machines. However, the fence issue is one where there is just no question that they will interfere in my opinion.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-08-2020 at 11:04 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2020, 11:58 AM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
My table saw, work bench, router table, planer and miter saw are all at the same height.
Drill press, band saw, joiner and lathe all have their own height.
My bench doubles as an extension to the TS out feed. I remove the fence from my TS and it doubles as an out feed for my planer.
The miter saw stations height doesn't interfere with in or out feed on any tool.
Most every thing is on mobile bases but the only thing I ever move is the band saw & joiner.
Works well in a small two car garage.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Without a photo or sketch it leaves much to ones imagination, if each tool can be placed in such an arrangement without obstructing another tool no problem, it is your shop and you know the kind of work flow you will have.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 8 Old 02-09-2020, 08:46 AM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
I had a common working height of 32" for my table saw, jointer, and radial arm saw for a while based on the jointer height. It worked well when I was just ripping stock on the table saw. I do more work with jigs on the saw now, and 32" was too low. I raised the saw to 35" and find it more comfortable. I'm not so sure about raising the height of your jointer if you do much face jointing. It's nice to have a heavy back up fixture on top of a piece being face jointed positioned so you can bear down with your full weight safely. That says to me you want a lower height for the jointer table. This is a 5" wide by 1 3/4" thick by 7' long hard maple stave core door stile being face jointed with a full length push board on top. Works well at 32". I think it would feel cramped at 35", and you want everything working in your favor for an operation like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	entry door 5 stile cores (3).JPG
Views:	14
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	384527  

woodnthings likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2020, 09:38 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What he said ^

Different machines require different heights because of the leverage factor OR the sight distance to the cutting blade. For instance, a bandsaw would be higher than a jointer because you need to see exactly where the cut is being made on or near the line. A jointer requires more down pressure and forward pressure than most other machines, the table saw a "possible" exception when ripping. Crosscutting is more critical, so a miter saw or RAS would/could be higher. A router table might want to be higher than the table saw so the cutting process is more visible, at least mine are ....

Repeated operations where you are always leaning over to see or to make the cut should be considered and the machine height raised to avoid fatigue and back pain issues. A lot depends on the particular shop and the processes that are done most often.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode