Window box material and finish? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

View jtech1's Photo Album My Photos
Window box material and finish?

I am going to build a window box. Will be hung outdoors and painted. Approx 8' long and 8" x 8" (interior dimensions). The house exterior is cedar siding (semi solid stain) and rough cedar trim (painted white). I would like the window box to be smooth... and since it will be painted, I don't think there is any reason to spend the money for cedar for it. What material and finish (under the matching white exterior BMoore Latex trim paint) would be best to use for this? I plan to use TiteBond III and a combination of pocket and end screws. Willing to use best primer and paint to protect the wood. I'd appreciate everyone's advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-02-2016, 11:23 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
New window boxes are pretty, but also pretty short lived unless the interior is metal lined or coated with a moisture barrier such as Redguard. Fertilizers are very corrosive to any metal fastener like nails or screws. The small 8" X 8" dimensions mean you will have to water it daily during the summer months.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-03-2016, 08:44 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
I've been using synthetics, like Azek. Paints well, no rotting, works like wood. Make the bottom out of spaced slats. Look for some plastic liners/long planting boxes to put inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-03-2016, 08:47 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would make the box out of cedar and finish the inside with fiberglass resin and the outside with the same finish as the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode