What do the mass-market furniture companies use to secure glass in a wood door? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

View JavaGeek's Photo Album My Photos
What do the mass-market furniture companies use to secure glass in a wood door?

Hello All,
I have a few pieces of mass-manufactured furniture around the house and the glass is always secured with a clear silicone-looking strip in the back.

What is that stuff and can I buy it somewhere?

It's definitely not a caulk bead as it's clearly been pre-formed, although it could easily be the same material.

I want to build a cabinet with a glass door. Every piece of advice suggests routing a rabbet in the back and securing with thin strips of wood and nails. That may be a good way. I am just nervous both because I don't want the glass rattling and because I am nervous with brads near glass.

Thanks,
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM

View progressiveblitz's Photo Album My Photos
Ha, I just threw some out this weekend that's been sitting around my house for a year. If it's the stuff your looking for it is a rubber insert with little nibs on one side that pressure fit into a dado in the back of the door but the name eludes me. We use it for our doors that we order from the manufacturer, but they supply more than enough with the purchase of a door and you can cut it with scissors. I'm sure you would be able to find some at your local hardware store.

If you do go the wood strip route... you could screw them in with countersunk screws so you can take them out if you need to replace the glass at any time, and a little bit of hot glue between the glass and strip to take up any space(as long as you cant see it from the front).
post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 PM

View jkline805's Photo Album My Photos
glazing bead maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Waltz craft, Conestoga,Blum or Outwater all carry it
post #5 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 04:58 AM

View Flyindiver's Photo Album My Photos
I take mine to a glass cutter, they are using an RTV product. If I was doing it myself I would use window points and glazing.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Lector

View Glassnwood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGeek View Post
Hello All,
I have a few pieces of mass-manufactured furniture around the house and the glass is always secured with a clear silicone-looking strip in the back.

What is that stuff and can I buy it somewhere?

It's definitely not a caulk bead as it's clearly been pre-formed, although it could easily be the same material.

I want to build a cabinet with a glass door. Every piece of advice suggests routing a rabbet in the back and securing with thin strips of wood and nails. That may be a good way. I am just nervous both because I don't want the glass rattling and because I am nervous with brads near glass.

Thanks,
Steven

Is it stained glass? If so was it done with led or brass?( it makes a difference)
For indoors do the rabbet cut with push points & strips of matching wood.Just use a little glazing (very little) & it's no worries mate, it won't rattle.

Last edited by Glassnwood; 01-30-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Most of the time my glass is secured with a bead of silicone. Sometimes I will use a rubber retainer to hold glass in. I have a bit for machining a small kerf in the doors for this to fit into. Either way has worked well.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Rubbe.../products/244/

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/1_2-S.../products/225/
Attached Images

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #8 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There are a number of different ways to secure glass in a door. You could cut a rabbet like others have said and install the glass with glazing points. Then you could glaze the door or run a bead of caulk. Often you can get color caulk close to the color of the wood. You could also secure the glass with glazing points and put wood strips in with hot melt glue.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM

View Garazgos's Photo Album My Photos
Securing glass in wood door

The "preformed caulking" material that you're looking for is probably "glazing tape". It comes in a roll with a peel-off backing. In use, it's not unlike the double-sided tape used for carpet backing in terms of application.

Another option is a rubber "glazing channel". If you've ever taken apart an aluminum-framed sliding patio door

Tags
glass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode