What is the best method to carve this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

View unqualeNienaite's Photo Album My Photos
What is the best method to carve this?

Hello there,

I am trying to carve out a tree for a base of a table out of oak. The picture of the shape is below. Please excuse the horrible drawing, its hard to draw in Paint on a touch mouse :)

That is the basic shape. The branches are going to hold the table top and the roots on the bottom will keep everything stable.

Preferably I would like to carve it out of a solid chunk of oak, that way you cant see the different layers (if laminated) when I stain it. Doing it this way I would have to chainsaw the basic shape and it will be tedious to not break the branches where the grain is in the wrong direction.

Another way is gluing a bunch of pre-shaped layers together and then carving it from there. The only problem with this is that I do not want to see the different layers after I stain it.

The last way that I can think of is finding an actual tree and tear off the bark and sand it. However it will be hard to find the right one.

I know the basics of wood working, so I am a beginner in that. However I have worked in a machine/metal shop for quite a while so I am already geared with working with machinery/power tools. Whichever way I do this, I do not think it is going to be too challenging for me to do it, I just am looking for some feedback to figure out which method I should use.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!!

-Brianna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Make the trunk and the roots and branches seperately....then join them together... or practice on a chunk of ice.

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #3 of 4 Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
If you are going to do this out of one piece of solid oak start with the chain saw. You coud then step down to a reciprocating saw for finer work and trimming, and then go at it with chisels and mallet. Of course, at the end of all the carving you will have a lot of sanding to do. It sounds like an interesting project. Personally, I think I would try to find a tree that is close to what I want, and then compromise some.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2008, 03:07 PM

View Graphiti's Photo Album My Photos
I'd try to find a tree, no matter how well you carve it, the visible grain of the wood will make it look un-natural and will probably end up looking like a piece of impressionist art rather than a tree.

You could find a tree with branches you like then join it to another that has roots to your liking. It would probably be easier than finding a tree short enough to fit under a table that has well developed roots and limbs.
Good luck,
Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode