walnut ply platform frame feasability - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View brooklynarch's Photo Album My Photos
walnut ply platform frame feasability

Hi everyone,
Im trying to build an inexpensive, minimal platform frame for a queen size mattress. The idea is to use two 3/4" sheets of walnut veneer ply, cut as shown (see attached), glue and screw laminate, and add steel hairpin legs. My question, based on the attached drawing, will 1-1/2" thick laminated plywood frame support two adults without warping, sagging over time? Any major oversights here? Thanks very much.
Justin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PLY BED.pdf (84.8 KB, 185 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 PM

View Schu's Photo Album My Photos
Couple concerns:

1. Never heard of Hairpin steel legs, so I looked them up and found a company that sells them. Some look a bit more sturdy than others. My concern would be stability of just running a screw into the plywood. Screws could work their way loose with repetitive side load from getting in and out of bed or several bouts of friskiness. I would use a bolt/washer instead that would go all the way through and grab from the top as well.

2. Would also be concerned about sagging/deflection along the sides/ends. That is probably where you would be sitting to climb in and out and concentrating more weight there. You could add a skirt board all the way around to give it more strength (and hide the plywood edges. If you did that, I would also add some vertical cross supports in the middle of the bed as well, tied to the flat pieces as well as the upper sheet and tied into the side skirts. Another option would be to add more legs as well.

I may be overkilling it, but I try to make things like beds bullet proof. Don't need a collapsing bed to spoil the moment or hurt sombody.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

thanks shu, i was thinking about picking up extra legs just in case, and yes, good idea of using through bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM

View renovatio's Photo Album My Photos
Just curious if you've made any progress with this? A queen platform bed is going to be my next project so I'd love to see with yours turns out.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynarch View Post
Hi everyone,
Im trying to build an inexpensive, minimal platform frame for a queen size mattress. The idea is to use two 3/4" sheets of walnut veneer ply, cut as shown (see attached), glue and screw laminate, and add steel hairpin legs. My question, based on the attached drawing, will 1-1/2" thick laminated plywood frame support two adults without warping, sagging over time? Any major oversights here? Thanks very much.
Justin
Doubled up 3/4" Walnut plywood would be sufficient for a bed frame. For a base, I make a toe-kick style boxed out frame like depicted in this drawing. It offers maximum support. The drawing is for a two piece for a king size. It can be one piece for queen size.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
im kinda not feelin the leg thing. why not do it like the old waterbeds. rip ply to your height, cut them out so they will chris cross, and support the middle. if the ply is not showing why use walnut ply.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

bedframe not going to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovatio View Post
Just curious if you've made any progress with this? A queen platform bed is going to be my next project so I'd love to see with yours turns out.
thanks for your interest but we just broke down and bought a frame from a local store, its not ideal but its probably cheaper than what it would have cost to buy the wood and have it cut. good luck with your project.

Tags
advice requested, platform bed, plywood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode