Walnut Farm Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
View Poll Results: Is 5/8" thickness enough for a walnut dining room table?
5/8" thick table. 0 0%
3/4" thick table 1 33.33%
Mix the 3/4" boards beside the 5/8". 1 33.33%
Other 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 9 Old 11-05-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

View dakermitb's Photo Album My Photos
Walnut Farm Table

Folks,

Bear with me, I'm new to woodworking and the community. This weekend I bought a 6" jointer and 12" planer to work with rough cut wood for the first time. My goal is to build a dining room table for my family. Dimensions are: 7' 6" X 40" with a basic frame underneath (yet to build). I planned to keep the table top width at 3/4", however after straightening out my boards on the jointer, and planning it down, I'm down to 5/8" for half of my boards.

Questions: Is 5/8" thick enough for a walnut table?

I stopped the project, to get inputs first. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

v/r,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-05-2017, 08:25 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
5/8" thick will work but it will have a little increased risk of warpage. You might screw a couple boards on the underside with elongated holes to help stabilize it. Use pan head screws and not tighten them down completely. If you haven't glued the wood together yet you may be closer to 9/16" by the time you put it together and sand it.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-05-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve for the advice. I still need to sand things down and glue them, so you are probably right--9/16" maybe. I like the idea of the loose screws to allow for the wood to expand. Perhaps I could use some of that under the frame to help hid it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-2017, 12:17 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
That depends on your definition of a basic frame, if the frame is such that the top is supported almost all the way out to ends and sides so the top is basically laying on it and fastened properly to allow for movement you may be okay.
Building a table is a complicated process, particularly such a large one so do your research.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #5 of 9 Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
If you have an abundance of lumber, I suggest you set aside the 5/8” material for a future project.
You now have practice on your new planer. Plane more lumber down for your table top. 3/4” should be the very minimum for a nice table. 7/8”, 13/16”, or 1” or more would be preferred over 5/8” for a very nice Walnut table.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs. I'm leaning more towards getting new wood that is 3/4" thick. I'd hate to get new wood, but I want that piece of mind that my table won't go bad in a few years. I'm going to pause the project till next week, when my supplier comes back from vacation. Let me know if anyone else has more ideas.

v/r,

Don
post #7 of 9 Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Really the only problem with using the thinner wood for a table top is on the joints there is less glue surface area meaning if the joint gets under stress it has less to hold it together. The other problem is warpage which was already covered. If you put a spline in the joint and braced it from the underside the 5/8" top should hold up every bit as good as a 3/4" top. The only real issue is if you object to the appearance of the thinner top. As long as you kept the grain running the same direction you could glue a 5/8" thick band of wood around the parameter of the top giving it the illusion of being a 1 1/4" thick top.
FrankC likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-07-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Here's another idea for helping reinforce the wood: https://wunderwoods.wordpress.com/20...-of-thin-wood/
post #9 of 9 Old 11-07-2017, 03:39 PM

That will work. That is basically what I was trying to describe in post 7. As long as you keep the grain running the same direction you can build up the thickness.

Tags
3/4", 5/8", table, thickness, walnut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode