Woodworking Talk banner

Using a portable generator for certain tools

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  homestd 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my shop is a 2.5 car detached garaged, and running a couple 220/240v outlets would cost a fortune. We live in michigan, and winter power outages are almost a certainty once or twice a winter. I was thinking I could run double duty and get a portable generator to run a couple 220v(ish) tools from time to time.

Specifically looking at this exact tool. 6" jointer just aint cutting it long term here. I'd also like to bring in a metal lathe from my grandpas shop that runs on 220v.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-8-x-72-Jointer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0656X

I cant really think of any downsides here, if yall have any ideas on the matter or have any horror stories for me, Im all ears. Thanks!

#4 ·
Nah, I got a quote on the 220 to the garage. I'd have to fully replace the main panel to get it up to code (4 figures), then it'd have to run a sub panel, route conduit, and run cement (4-5 figures).

As far as the "cost of installation", im not really following. You just plug it in lol. Im not sure we're on the same page here with what im talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Power-...ocphy=9017271&hvtargid=pla-355363946562&psc=1

As far as "running costs", I mean yeah maybe a gallon of gas every month lol. And as I said, losing power is all but guaranteed up here during the winter months lol.

#16 ·
Hi Bob, keeping in mind the installation costs then I believe going with the 220 V at your garage is the cheapest option that you can consider. Especially during the winter period losing power in form of heat is one thing that is inevitable. The 220 V is ideal to power Circ saws and small compressors. This is much better that running larger induction motors of a generator.

#6 ·
Yeah you east side guys get it easy hahaha. Our power outages over here by the lake can get real nasty lol. Last year we got lucky and only were out for a day ..... lol. A couple years ago, we lost power for 3 days, and it was just awful, we had to get a hotel.

#7 ·
March, 1993, we had a blizzard in east Tennessee. Many rural areas were out of power for 10 days. We lost power for about 18 hours.
Having to do all that just for one line is ridiculous. I should have been an electrician.

Electrician- Doctor, here is my bill for replacing the circuit breaker.
Doctor- Wow! You charge almost as us doctors.
Electrician- That's what I thought when I was a doctor.:vs_laugh:

#9 ·
Let me toss out an off the wall thought here.

What if you asked the power company to install service at the garage. Tell them that you are thinking of running a woodworking business out of the garage. You're planning jointer, planer, table saw, band saw, lathe, etc. And you want to keep the bills separate from the house for tax purposes.

Then all you have to do install a 200 Amp circuit breaker box with a meter. Add a couple of initial lighting circuits so that the need for service looks legit. Should be able to pass inspection for code easily. Then add what ever you want as needed.

Once you've seen the inside of a circuit breaker box and understand the basics (Book from Home Depot) installing circuits is simple to do up to code.

#10 ·
Hmm, I havent tried that, I'll see what can be done! Im pretty versed on installations, Im just not wild about moving a full live panel myself; as Im not a contractor and am not super familiar with coding restrictions. That said, somehow the previous owner got the main panel installed in my office bathroom (????? HOW?!), so thats severely not up to code and every electrician ive spoken with says they wont touch it without moving it lol.

An entirely new meter might be the way to go though, Ill definitely check that out!

#14 ·
I had rented a Self Storage unit for a shop just to play in.
I ran it on I think a 5K Gen. All my tools worked fine. I had a table saw, lathe, band saw, planer and joiner plus the everyday plug in power tools.
My lights were fluorescent and they worked fine.
As far as my tool go, everything was good.
Then Hurricane Ike hit. I had been out of town at the town. The water in the marina reached a height about 16' above normal. When I got back, i could not even get to the marina for a few more days. My boat was fine, the marina was flooded and lost power. I went to my shop and brought back my generator. Lights, TV AC all worked fine except for anything I had running through my inverter (Converts 12V DC) from car/boat batteries. Apparently, modern electronics just does not like the output from generators. my old generator was i think a modified sine wave. Probably, if you spent $1000 on a generator with full sine wave, you might not have the same problems i had with my $400 generator.
But back to my original statement, The $400 cheap gen. ran all my tools with no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.