upright freezer stand - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
sawdustsnifer

View sawdustsnifer's Photo Album My Photos
Question upright freezer stand

I am going to buy a upright freezer for my garage. the dimension of the freezer are 34 H x 19 x D x 19 W. It will weigh about 60 lbs and hold about 40lbs of frozen stuff at the most.

I want to build a stand for it and was looking for some ideas.

considerations:
I would like it about 34 inches tall about the same dimensions; Why? My back is history and our regular freezer is killing my back and my fibromyalgia, cranial ..you get the picture.

Ideas?
I could use 4 x4's for each post?
2 x 4 at bottom and every 10 inches for support.
1x2 or 3x4 inch ply on sides except the front. If possible, I would like to store some old magazines and books in the space ..only athought.
top made of 3x4 plywood.

If I was just considering not to store anything inside the stand...hey every spot in my garage is full of all kinds of stuff, it would be an easy deal.

ideas?
sawdustsnifer
thanks

The saw dust sniffer: "The table saw always wins!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
build a simple 3/4" plywood box

The freezer has feet in the corners, so any weight transfer will be where a box that's the same size made of 3/4" will have the greatest strength... in the corners!
You plan seems way overkill for a 100 lb. total freezer. If you plan to move around some 2" or 3" casters on the bottom would be nice and raise it off the floor for greater longevity. Otherwise, make some 2" X 2"rails to raise it up. Leave the face open for storage. I'm thinking a 10" or 12" high box... what do you need?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 PM

View SeniorSitizen's Photo Album My Photos
19 x 19 x 64 tall is going to be mighty top heavy and 4x4 posts will hold the car. I believe I'd strap it to a wall to prevent tipping and use two 1x2s for 90 corner legs. The legs would give a nice surface for inside cleats to locate shelves on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 02:06 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
So it seems like you got the how covered so now i'll ask the Why? I have a refrigerator and a freezer in my shop and store things on top of them. Why raise them up?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 09:06 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
For those asking why the OP wants the thing raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustsnifer
considerations:
I would like it about 34 inches tall about the same dimensions; Why? My back is history and our regular freezer is killing my back and my fibromyalgia, cranial ..you get the picture.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Ok, it's gonna be tall

I would still only use 3/4" plywood, with 2 or 3 shelves. No need for 4 x 4's, which will hold up a car. You may be able to find a cabinet ready made...home store? if you want to save some work. Be careful gettin' it up there! Is frozen beer heavy?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
sawdustsnifer

View sawdustsnifer's Photo Album My Photos
upright freezer stand

You have definitely made me more aware of it being top heavy. Rather than buy the one that is 34 inches high, I may buy the one that is 24 H. In addition, maybe the stand below will be about 24 inches in height. I can use a chair to sit on. I need to look around as there might be something out there that will do the job as one of you mentioned. You have given me a lot of good ideas and now to the garage where I think it will be, take measurements, check electrical, do some searching for a possible easy way out and start some drawings.
thanks

PS: a case of beer, approximately 24 cans frozen weighs about 20 lbs.

The saw dust sniffer: "The table saw always wins!"
post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I think if it were me, I would build a cabinet that is about 24 inches high out of plywood.
My hot water heater is framed up with 2x4's and plywood, covered with Sheetrock. No problems since the house was built in 1983. We have had several heaters, but no problems with the support.

50 gallons of water = 400 lbs +.

Take some measurements to see what it would take to raise the freezer to a decent working height for you and go from there.

Good luck.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode