TV Stand Plan and Progress - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

View juice3250's Photo Album My Photos
TV Stand Plan and Progress

I'm building a TV Stand for my living room to replace the rickety IKEA particle board one we bought. Our TV is a 50" rear projection that weighs about 80-90lbs.

Here you can see our current setup. Sorry for the bad quality. The TV overhangs about 3" on each side and is about 3" too deep. So I'm making it a custom size.

Here is a rough design that I made on sketchup.

The rough dimensions are:
Width of top: 42"
Depth of top: 18 1/2"
Overall height: 22"
Thickeness of top and shelf: 3/4"

There will be a 1/2" overhang l around the top.

I am using pine for the top and shelf. It is all reclaimed wood with the exception of the aprons and edging for the top.

This brings up one question that I have. What would be the best way to attach the edging for the top? I am going to be using 3/8" mahogany for the edging. Would glue be enough to hold it? I really don't want nails or brads in it and the top is not thick enough for dowels. Plus the edging only being 3/8" thick, I can't put any dados in it.

Right now, I'm really motivated to finish the building of it because I can see the end and I think I finally have a design that I like. I started this back in April and haven't made much progress since then. I already have the top, shelf and legs cut to size, but my next step is to attach the edging and attach the legs to the shelf.

I was thinking of using pocket screws to attach the shelf to the legs on the underside of the shelf but am rethinking that because there not being enough material there. The shelf will be notched around the legs and will sit back 1/8"-1/4" from the outside of the legs.

Also, the legs will be tapered.

I'm also not sure if I'm going to have a shelf divider in there or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 PM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
Glue will be just fine for the edging. If the edging is big enough, I know some people will use biscuits to help with alignment, although I'm not one of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode