Truck bed sleeping platform - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tomwilson74
  • 1 Post By John Smith_inFL

post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

View tomwilson74's Photo Album My Photos
Truck bed sleeping platform

Anybody built one? I have one that is pretty simple, just 2 x 6 frame with plywood. Just looking for ideas. Toyota Tacoma short bed (5.5’)
hamnajain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-08-2020, 07:07 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I made one for my Dodge Van (a/k/a Motel Six).
it was a simple 2x4 frame over the left wheel well with a 1x6 plywood "box"
the size of a blowup single person air mattress. this allowed for storage under the mattress.
it wasn't fancy - it just did its job. (no photos - but I will try to draw it out for you).

hamnajain likes this.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-08-2020, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

View tomwilson74's Photo Album My Photos
I have to sleep corner to corner being that it’s only a 5.5’ bed. I’m looking to try one more trip to California in June. I had a fiberglass shell then. I need to get another but the price is almost out of reach. Thinking about trying a truck-bed tent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-08-2020, 07:50 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
oh - I didn't notice you have a limited space.
oh well, here is what I made for my van. maybe it will inspire others that have more room.

Truck bed sleeping platform-248033-438x.jpg

Truck bed sleeping platform-ec6b4e4921b63ca36b77de813ed1cc82.jpg

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 09-08-2020 at 07:57 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-23-2020, 05:05 AM

View hamnajain's Photo Album My Photos
I lived out of my Ranger for long stretches of time. I used storage bins to support a piece of plywood. On top of that I used a mattress from a folding cot.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2020, 11:16 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Back in the 1980s I had a small long bed pickup with a shallow fiberglass camper shell on top. Didn't everybody have one of those back then? My friends had "carpet kits" in their pickups. Instead of buying an "expensive" carpet kit, I just copied theirs to save money. They were made from cheap plywood, 2x2s and 2x4s, with foam and carpet on top. I used a circular saw, screws, and a friend's upholstery staple gun to make it. No skill or talent was required.

It had two long side boxes that covered the wheel wells. The side boxes had internal dividers, making storage compartments in front and behind the wheel wells with hinges on top for lids. The wide center area had two platforms front-to-back. (It could have been one very long platform, but two were easier to manage.) They rested on 2x4s bolted along the lengths of the side boxes. You could easily lift the rear platform like it was hinged, to expose the large middle section "storage area."

The carpet kit formed a comfortable, full width bed across the back of the pickup. The top was a few inches below the height of the rails and tailgate, barely above the wheel wells. I kept water, canned goods, backpacking stove, sleeping bag and pillow, and other camping gear in the storage compartments. It also served as my "earthquake emergency kit." With all that storage, my stuff was always out of sight.

When I was young and single, I traveled and camped. I could leave on a whim, without bothering to stop at home after work. I never bothered with motels - the carpet kit was very comfortable.

If you search for "pickup truck carpet kit" images, you should find many examples.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode