Trouble cutting squares - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By maybedave
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

View West North West's Photo Album My Photos
Trouble cutting squares

Seems like it should be the simplest thing in the world, right? I'm having a hell of a time cutting consistent squares on my Ryobi table saw. I'm trying to make a chessboard, and have the strips cut and glued now. I am going to do the perpendicular cuts tomorrow to create the final surface, and am very worried, because I had to decrease the dimensions of the initial strips because I could not get them perfectly squared up. I've tried my best to get the fence perfectly parallel to the saw blade, but things just never come out right. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong, or otherwise? How do you guys cut perfect squares and rectangles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 PM
No shop woodshop

View maybedave's Photo Album My Photos
Before you even get to a square, you have to get a perfectly parallel strip. Are you able to accomplish that with your saw? The problem may be the fact that blades will tend to flex a bit with material shoving it away from the fence. Using multiple shallow passes will help with this.

Once you can get consistent strips, I would think that it's just a matter of using a cross-cut sled?
new2woodwrk likes this.

Making it all up as I go...
post #3 of 6 Old 11-25-2017, 10:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Instead of cutting squares glue up 9 strips of wood alternating light and dark wood. Then cross cut the panel into strips of equal width. Then glue them together alternating the light and dark wood. After it's all glued together cut to 8x8 rows.
amckenzie4 and new2woodwrk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2017, 06:59 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
He entitled the thread cutting squares, but then wrote that his problem was not being able to get the fence parallel to the saw blade. Doing that always confuses people. Cutting the squares came after this problem.

Question. How have you been going about making your fence parallel to the blade? Does the fence move when you are trying to lock it down? Do you think the fence is parallel when you lock it down and then the cut wood is not parallel? Give us as much information as you can.

George
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2017, 08:07 AM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds to me like your table is not tuned properly - that was my problem for quite awhile.

If it is, what I've started doing is working towards the final size - in other words, if I need a cut that is 2x2 I'll make it 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 and trim off until I get to my final size.

Still though, it does sound like either you need to tune the saw or something going on with your fence (another issue I've had before and thanks to the responses here was able to isolate and fix).

Good luck
post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2017, 06:41 PM

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
I did this once, but cutting small chess table squares individually is not easy even with a good saw, parts are so small, easy to screw up. I didn't put mine together yet but I'm using left over Brazilian cherry flooring & corian left over from another project.

Blade stiffening washers and a "good" fence is paramount.(Also a blade with more than 40 teeth, 60 maybe but 80 preferable )

I ripped 12" strips on table saw slightly larger then needed, then cut & squared ends on miter saw slightly larger then needed, recutting opposite end each time before sliding down to stop block to ensure ends were spot on. I then trimmed to final size on table saw. (Nibbled about 1/32" or less each pass). Yes its tedeous but patients will yeild a better result.

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode