Trailer Jack Wheels for new HD workbench? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-26-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Trailer Jack Wheels for new HD workbench?

Iím designing a new workbench strong enough to add a swing open tool storage above the workbench on the end and looking for ideas to add wheels

Harbor Freight has a 1500 lb. Capacity Dual Wheel Swing-Back Boat Trailer Jack for $30 and I was thinking of buying 4 of these to use as HD wheels for a Work bench. My work bench is really getting heavy with all the stuff Iím adding to it and Iím worried about the current caster wheels collapsing. I could at least raise the wheels when not moving it around for a more solid footing.

So I was wondering if anybody has done this or if there are any other ideas.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2016, 05:25 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Wouldn't they be in the way?..What about some better locking casters...Just my thoughts man..
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
Wouldn't they be in the way?..What about some better locking casters...Just my thoughts man..
Well Mat. they probably would be in my way, but I was just thinking about weight and being able to raise them up.
I was actually looking at some 450 lb. caster wheels when I saw the trailer wheels on sale and thought it might be better to set the bench down on the floor when working on it..
I don't know of any other way at the moment.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2016, 06:12 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't built any but what about retractable feet to take the weight of the casters when bench is in use..I no they sell them but maybe someone on here has made some...I have a wielder so all I would need is some large nuts along with threaded rod and steel..I will look some more.for more info........Hay.Im back..They also sell retractable casters for work bench ,,goggle it..

Last edited by mat 60; 03-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mat 60 For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (03-26-2016)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I've looked at a lot of different options.

Trailer jacks can work. I don't like the idea of running 4 jacks though, so I would devise a system with fixed wheels on one end, and a pair of wheels on the other end that are raised by a trailer jack.

This was where I was headed on my Unisaw base, then I started looking at pallet jacks. Ended up with a used PJ for under $100, and it's been dissected awaiting it's transformation into the mobile base for the Uni...

This guy builds an interesting variation...

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/tls/5470812023.html
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Casters

I have a very heavy workbench on casters. My bench has 10 drawers which I've filled with an assortment of power tools and hand tools. The bench with the added weight of filled drawers is mounted on 4 heavy duty swiveling, locking casters. On one occasion, both me and my son stood on top of the workbench while we installed a 160 lb a/c and heater unit for my garage. Our combined weight with the units weight added an additional weight of approximately 550 lbs to a workbench that already weighed approximately 400 lbs. No problems. I didn't even give any thought to the casters.
That being said, I don't think you need the wheels from a boat jack on your workbench. Just buy some quality ball-bearing casters. They will take a lot of weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (03-26-2016)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Wow shoot summ, that steel bench is something else and definitely needs some HD wheels for that.

Right now I have my bench setting on top of a couple of moving dollies and I don’t know what the weight limit is, but I’m worried about it. It has been surprisingly sturdy and needs a pretty good push to move it. I’ve been thinking about weighing everything on the workbench just to see where I stand.

My shop is in a garage and I need to be able to push it aside when I need to work on the car. I have drawers on each side and storage under it. I want to add a couple of vises to the new bench and want to store a few pipe clamps along the back so that they will be readily available.

My biggest concern is that I want to hang something like in the video below, but attached to the end of the bench because I don't have any wall space. I have no Idea how much this weighs.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode