Things i could make with glow-in-the-dark Resin? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 11-14-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

View pondweed's Photo Album My Photos
Question Things i could make with glow-in-the-dark Resin?

hi guys

new to forum, first post.

So the last few years i been suffering from depression. with each month that passes, my capacity for projects gets less and less.

I got a wood workshop at home, basic tools. Every new project i start seems to fizzle out after a few days.
its like a wet blanket over my shoulders that gets heavier and heavier.

my personal financial situation is not looking good. Due to my health, suitable employed work almost impossible to find.
so i really need to make some things from wood that i could try sell.

was hoping for some suggestions for small woodwork projects that could be completed in a few days?

I recently got hold of some glow in the dark powder (blue). when mixed with resin (or maybe PVA glue?) it can be pasted into cracks/imperfections/carved grooves, in wood.
Once dried, and sanded, it gives of a beautiful hue in the dark.

Iv seen it used for shelves. Havnt yet come across a piece of timer with lots of natural cracks (improperly seasoned).
(example pic attached)
A friend recently gave me an electric sander/jig, so i can do shelve-scale projects.

Anyone got any ideas for use of glow in dark resin in woodcraft?
(Also got given a nice set of small carving knives)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-15-2015, 02:31 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Key fobs?
johnep
post #3 of 23 Old 11-15-2015, 10:18 AM

View GoIrish's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep34
Key fobs? johnep
I like the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-15-2015, 10:36 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
First, Welcome here to this very friendly WW forum. Always good to get new creative ideas, and IMO your "glow-in-the-dark" is unique! Consider adding some "glow" to wood light switch plates, stair hand rails, or perhaps picture/mirror frames. With holidays just a few weeks away, these could be "one-of-a- kind" gifts! Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Just how is the glow obtained? The original luminous paint contained a radioactive substance. Found some watches set off geiger counters and caused a scare at the time (was in the 50s).
johnep
post #6 of 23 Old 11-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
If you wanted to get really adventurous you could mix the powder into a stabilizing resin, something like Cactus Juice, then use it to stabilize pen blanks

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 23 Old 11-15-2015, 11:04 PM

View Nite's Photo Album My Photos
I plan on making a desk with a built-in computer cabinet the same style. I'll be posting about it shortly
post #8 of 23 Old 11-17-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

wicked suggestions everyone. many thanks.

key fobs and wooden light switch plates sound like a nice start.

i like the idea of practical applications in addition to aesthetics. the above 2 things can sometimes be difficult to find in the dark.

as far as im aware its not radioactive in any way.
apparently this type of glow powder is fairly new. looks similar to a water soluble version of them glowy star stickers that often go on bedroom walls
post #9 of 23 Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
That product is really cool!

Small shelves sell well---impulse item ---perhaps you could work the glow into those---
post #10 of 23 Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 AM

View Floyd69's Photo Album My Photos
First thing that come to mind with the glow in the dark resin is to burn the wood and wire brush out the soft leaving the harder grain then fill it in with the resin. You can leave rough or sand smooth then clear coat. That may have some interesting effects to see how that works. Or even use a soldering iron and burn out designs and fill in as well.

Floyd
post #11 of 23 Old 11-22-2015, 08:43 AM
I fail in order to learn

View purplenurple's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd69 View Post
First thing that come to mind with the glow in the dark resin is to burn the wood and wire brush out the soft leaving the harder grain then fill it in with the resin. You can leave rough or sand smooth then clear coat. That may have some interesting effects to see how that works. Or even use a soldering iron and burn out designs and fill in as well.

Floyd
How much would you burn the wood to do this? Slightly or to the hard core is left? If so, how do you take off the black soot? Or am I not comprehending
post #12 of 23 Old 11-22-2015, 09:52 AM

View Floyd69's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplenurple View Post
How much would you burn the wood to do this? Slightly or to the hard core is left? If so, how do you take off the black soot? Or am I not comprehending
From what I understand and remember from my cozen who did burn out animal figures. Some woods work better than others so it would be best to test with some scrap. Burn then wire brush and if you have a rotary wire brush you can target better the soft leaving the hard core/grain and repeat till desired depth. Larger grain is better than fine grain. I believe you can sand off the burn from the hard core/grain if the burn out is deep enough. Trial and error will be the best teacher for what works best for you.

Floyd
The Following User Says Thank You to Floyd69 For This Useful Post:
purplenurple (11-23-2015)
post #13 of 23 Old 03-20-2016, 04:13 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate stage of your life you are going through.

I have a suggestion so take it for what it is worth.

Depression seems to be something that feeds off itself. That is why it is so difficult to conquer.
I would recommend woodturning to beat depression. It in itself becomes its own addiction, fortunately, a good one. When you are turning, Your mind becomes very focused on what you are doing and there is nothing more mesmerizing than staring into concentric circles.
I was a professional turner for several years. I would say the biggest advantage of turning small bowls for a profit is that after a short while, you can turn a piece of scrap into a nice bowl, including finishing on the lathe in less than 30 minutes. Typically, you can get anywhere from $30 to $60 for a small bowl. My bowls were mainly turned green from freshly felled trees.
The idea that you can complete a project in less than 30 minutes is very gratifying and no time to get bored with it. You should be somewhat creative but nothing out of the ordinary. The best design ideas come from pottery shops and decorative bowls in the better retail stores.
Stay away from gluing up pieces other than a contrasting base. Just use the wood as it is. just make a pleasing shape and it will sell. This would be a great way to play with a glow in the dark finish.

Best of luck in whatever you do

Tony B

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 03-20-2016 at 04:15 PM.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-20-2016, 05:19 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Great suggestion Tony...I would like to see the op come back on this forum..
post #15 of 23 Old 03-20-2016, 07:08 PM

Wood turning is very relaxing for the mind yet requiring a good bit of focusing and concentration, if that makes any sense.
It is easy to learn and with proper instruction, your skill level will climb fast.
I found bowl turning very rewarding.
If I could put a lathe on my boat, I would have one.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #16 of 23 Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

sorry for not geeting back sooner. these days i find communication quite difficult.

thanks Tony that's a really nice suggestion, i see what what you mean about the concentration thing.
i had a few goes on a foot/peddle powered lathe.
(been volunteering with uk national trust, getting involved with the whole reviving lost wood-craft techniques)

with the way things are panning out i'm looking at probably needing a semi-portable workshop.
not sure if there are any smallish lathes about.

Lately I been working on building a yurt, slow progress. my current workshop is spare garage with no door.
this winter many tools gone rusty and wood going moldy.
i needing somwhere new to live soon, so am currently putting woodwork efforts toward Yurt.

wicked to hear about your boat Tony. i used to spend a lot of time hitchhiking round europe.
just before things started to go downhill, I had begun working towards getting a wooden boat and exploring oceans.
now i struggle to feed myself :/

but yea... anything to get out my own head. wood turning seems spot-on.
thanks
Attached Images

mat 60 likes this.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
................not sure if there are any smallish lathes about.
Actually, there are smallish lathes that people use for making pens. A fun thing to do, but unfortunately, the only ones making money are the ones selling the supplies. We live in a throwaway world.

Lately I been working on building a yurt, slow progress. my current workshop is spare garage with no door........ so am currently putting woodwork efforts toward Yurt.

I used to belong to a Renaissance group - can be found on sca.org.
they are international so I dont suspect you will have a problem locating them. Many of them built yurts and can be set-up in a few hours. they are actually quite sturdy and easy to waterproof. You might want to contact them and get some advice. I'm sure that if you need something more permanent, you can modify one of their designs. Most are made from lattice work and canvas and the lattice can be found in any lumber yard.

but yea... anything to get out my own head. wood turning seems spot-on.
thanks
In the US a decent size lathe for turning 8 to 12 inch bowls and platters can be purchased new for around $800 USD and used for 1/2 that price.

Of all the toys I ever owned, the lathe was almost my favorite - not even a close second.
Attached Images

Tony B

Last edited by Tony B; 03-21-2016 at 06:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony B For This Useful Post:
pondweed (03-21-2016)
post #18 of 23 Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Cool dog man..Hang in there and Pondweed.
The Following User Says Thank You to mat 60 For This Useful Post:
pondweed (03-21-2016)
post #19 of 23 Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Really beautiful bowls / plates Tony. Thanks for posting.
Loving the deep reds.

I heard that turned bowls can somtimes crack. You mentioned doing the finish while it's still on the lathe.
Does this prevent greenwood from eventually cracking?

It might be fun to try letting it dry and crack, then fill in cracks with glow dark resin. Can then put back on lathe for finish.

Loving the sound of 30min-ish completion by the way. My attention span about 20/30min these days.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-21-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
Cool dog man..Hang in there and Pondweed.
Thanks mat. Jack makes sure I get at least 1 good walk each day :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode