Is there a tool to help me make the most out of the material size I have? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By MatthewEOD

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

View Yonathan's Photo Album My Photos
Is there a tool to help me make the most out of the material size I have?

Hi,

Let's say I have a piece that's 73cm by 110cm, and I need to cut a few pieces, is there a tool to guide me how to cut each piece to optimize wastage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 01:57 AM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
I use cutlist in sketchup, it can do that. Some guys use excel. Ive not used that method, but looks like it could work.
35015 and Yonathan like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewEOD View Post
I use cutlist in sketchup, it can do that. Some guys use excel. Ive not used that method, but looks like it could work.
I'll try it, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edit: Tried it, it doesn't allow me to set a custom sheet/panel size, so it's no good for me. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by Yonathan; 05-20-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Just cut the biggest pieces first and work your way down to the smallest pieces.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Just cut the biggest pieces first and work your way down to the smallest pieces.
This is what I would do.

GMC
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 07:54 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Reduce dimensions to just inches

When working with plywood convert 4 ft X 8 ft to 48" X 96".

Then look at your cut list to see if any multiples of your dimensions fall just short of either of those two numbers. For instance you may need two pieces 24" x 32". Normally plywood allows for 1 or 2 saw kerfs in the 48" dimension, some do, some do not. Often the 96" is actually 96 1/2" long as well. So, see how your requirements fit within those dimensions. IF ... you can reduce the 24" dimension by even 1/8" to get both pieces from the sheet, then by all means DO IT! It will save you many $$$.

Working with framing lumber is a whole 'nother topic. I always order 3 to 5 more pieces than I need because of splits and warps, unless I have hand sorted them myself, but even then it's still a good idea to have a few more on hand.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-20-2017 at 07:59 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
Hi,

Let's say I have a piece that's 73cm by 110cm, and I need to cut a few pieces, is there a tool to guide me how to cut each piece to optimize wastage?
Hi Yonathan,

I work in metric also, so from what you are suggesting...this is a solid piece of lumber?

If this is a solid piece of wood (that's how I am reading this) using Sketchup or Spreadsheet programing (I use both for some sheet good work and organizing timber frames) I don't believe you will get what you need from either method....If this is a piece of sheet good than either should work just fine for that ascertaining a logical accomodation cut schedule...

With solid wood, there is just so much to take into consideration...and should...as WoodNThings has also suggested. It is not as simple as whether the piece is large enough to accommodate the required patterns of various members, but also so much more...You could have a piece of solid wood 10 times larger than it needs to be, and it still not accommodate a single member correctly because of grain patterning and/or flaws that are not tolerable for a given project.

So, I should ask, is this solid wood, and what are you trying to build?

If sheet good material, can you share a photo along with your cut list to be accommodated on it?

Last edited by 35015; 05-20-2017 at 08:16 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

It's plywood, it was a standard size piece that I had cut to a custom size to fit my small car.

I already cut it, though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode