Tall Storage Bed - What type of wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

View TrailrunnerMN's Photo Album My Photos
Tall Storage Bed - What type of wood?

Hey everyone!

I have a few quick questions for the gurus here.

I'm looking to build this type of bed:

http://ana-white.com/2010/05/furnitu...orage-bed.html

However, the total length of the bed will be approximately 82" in length by 63" wide. The plans above are for a full size bed and I am working with a queen bed. Plus, I would like the height to be 27" (storage below) instead of the 15" mentioned in the plans. Also, I am going to have it so that the actual bed will be able to lift up using gas springs so I will have two pieces of wood combined for that, resting on top of the storage cubbies. I should also mention there will be no headboard. Just the storage cubbies all around except towards the head of the bed (I will just just a piece of wood at that opening.

Any suggestions on what type of wood I would use in place of the recommended 1x12s? Could I just double up wood? Will I have to go with 2x12s? L brackets somewhere?

I apologize for I am very new to woodworking and building furniture. All ideas and opinions are welcomed.

Thank you very much in advance for all your input

Last edited by TrailrunnerMN; 09-30-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-01-2014, 09:02 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
All the bed is is a bunch of cabinets with the mattress sitting on top. You could make it any size you wished. Rather than using 1x12's I would make it out of plywood and put a strip of wood on the edge. Plywood would be much more stable than solid wood and if not careful you could have sap oozing out of the bed forever.

There wouldn't be any need for special hardware the cabinets that make up the foundation could just be screwed to the headboard cabinet and the footboard cabinet. The area where the foundation mounts could just be flat plywood. You need an flat area there anyway to put the pillows against.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
TrailrunnerMN (10-01-2014)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Good info, Steve. I appreciate it!

With the headboard, I was just going to put the foundation up against the wall (my current room is very small). If I had a master bedroom, I'd definitely have a headboard.

As for plywood, any recommendations? Again, I guess I'm just a little curious how this will all hold up since the height is 27" and the length is 82". Should I put in another support in the middle? Since the "cabinets" will be rather tall, I'll probably put some shelving in the middle in one or two spots but again, was curious about having another support for each "cabinet".

Thank you for any further help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM

View ADHDan's Photo Album My Photos
Are you painting or staining/clear-coating? Plain old birch or maple plywood from a big-box store takes paint pretty well. If you're not painting, it depends on what you want it to look like and how much you want to spend.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailrunnerMN View Post
Good info, Steve. I appreciate it!

With the headboard, I was just going to put the foundation up against the wall (my current room is very small). If I had a master bedroom, I'd definitely have a headboard.

As for plywood, any recommendations? Again, I guess I'm just a little curious how this will all hold up since the height is 27" and the length is 82". Should I put in another support in the middle? Since the "cabinets" will be rather tall, I'll probably put some shelving in the middle in one or two spots but again, was curious about having another support for each "cabinet".

Thank you for any further help!
Birch plywood would be the least expensive. You could finish it to look like maple. If you like oak you could use oak plywood. It's not that much more expensive.

The height really won't matter except for getting in and out of the bed. The bed is roughly 5' wide. If you put a 24" deep cabinet under each side all you will need is a few boards to tie them together to make the 63". You could glue two sheets of plywood together to lay across the foundation cabinets to lay the bed on. If you made the side cabinets with part of it which sticks up like bed rails you could just lay the plywood on the cabinets. That way the foundation could be easily screwed together with the head and footboard cabinets. The foundation should be made in two sections anyway so you get them through the door of the bedroom.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-01-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDan View Post
Are you painting or staining/clear-coating? Plain old birch or maple plywood from a big-box store takes paint pretty well. If you're not painting, it depends on what you want it to look like and how much you want to spend.
Hey Dan - I am looking at probably just a non-toxic clear coat. When it comes to looks, I am more concerned about strength and sturdiness. Performance over looks for this project :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Birch plywood would be the least expensive. You could finish it to look like maple. If you like oak you could use oak plywood. It's not that much more expensive.

The height really won't matter except for getting in and out of the bed. The bed is roughly 5' wide. If you put a 24" deep cabinet under each side all you will need is a few boards to tie them together to make the 63". You could glue two sheets of plywood together to lay across the foundation cabinets to lay the bed on. If you made the side cabinets with part of it which sticks up like bed rails you could just lay the plywood on the cabinets. That way the foundation could be easily screwed together with the head and footboard cabinets. The foundation should be made in two sections anyway so you get them through the door of the bedroom.
Great ideas, Steve. I like the bed rail idea. However, the plywood that the bed would lay on actually needs to raise up since I'll be putting storage underneath it all. I still like the idea and could definitely make that work.

When it comes to the actual type of plywood, do I really need to get the "good stuff" from lumber yards or will the big box stores work. I don't mind spending an extra $20-30 per sheet of plywood if needed.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM

As far as plywood I would just recommend buying any plywood that isn't made in China. Chinese plywood is bad to delaminate so I don't use it anymore for anything. Another plywood choice I forgot to mention is Sande plywood. It's inexpensive and has a grain like luan but blonde in color and since it is light could be used with pine facing.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-02-2014, 10:27 AM

For a clear-coat finish, I've had pretty decent results with maple and oak plywood from Home Depot. It's nothing fancy, but I haven't experienced major defects or delaminating (not sure if it's from China). I think oak is boring so I prefer maple, but just personal preference.

As Steve said, sande plywood isn't bad either; I'm not a huge fan of how it looks and feels (the sande ply at Home Depot feels kind of weirdly fuzzy), but certainly it would work with pine facing.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailrunnerMN View Post
When it comes to the actual type of plywood, do I really need to get the "good stuff" from lumber yards or will the big box stores work. I don't mind spending an extra $20-30 per sheet of plywood if needed.
I think it just depends on what type of wood you want, what cut pattern you want, and what you're willing to spend. I haven't shopped for plywood extensively at lumberyards, so I don't know what grain patterns you can find there, but I think most of the plywood at big-box stores is rotary sawn. Maybe some of it's flat sawn, but in any event it all tends to have a fairly repetitive grain pattern.

Here's a graphic showing the different types of cuts: http://www.kregtool.com/files/newsle...neer-large.jpg.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

I guess I have some choices to make. I appreciate all your help guys. I'll take a look at the maple and oak along with the sande plywood and see what looks best.

Thank you once again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode