TAll kitchen chair ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

View Kwhitehead37231's Photo Album My Photos
TAll kitchen chair ?

I Have a piece of granite that I'm making a tall cafe style table to put the granite on...i have a good idea for how to make the table but I am lost on the chairs. So where can I find a good set of plans for tall kitchen chairs? Any ideas or input is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I think that you should look for plans for "bar stools" rather than chairs.

If you google "bar stool plans" you will get hits for many stools. Some look like a traditional stool and some look like chairs.

George
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

You could use any chair plan, or as George mentioned bar stool plans. The height would just have to be adjusted for the application.

For dining height (29"-30"), the seat height recommended is 18"

For kitchen counter height (36"), seat height recommended is 24"

For bar height (42"), seat height recommended is 30".

These seat heights are fairly standard for chairs and bar stools. For 24" and 30" seat heights, a stretcher foot rail at 9" high (which is also recommended for foot rests on bars), makes access to sit easier, especially for kids.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (05-31-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

View Kwhitehead37231's Photo Album My Photos
Guys I have searched for an hour for bar stool plans, diy chair plans...ect. I can't find a single set of plans for just a normal plain chair with a back on it. Does anyone know of a specific site that has some chair plans
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That's a problem

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...4g-m6&aql=&oq=
Maybe if you selected a style from one of these 7 million images and went to their site they may have plans. If not, it's not that difficult to deconstruct a chair from one of the images. The seat height and back angle are the most important. The foot rest height is next, then seat depth and these dimensions can be measured off an existing chair...you may have to go to a "bar" or furniture store with permission of course. As far as specific plans for the chair you want that might be a problem since there are so many styles out there. Seating dimensions are somewhat personal. but chair makers have to settle on "averages" to fit the range of human dimensions. I worked for GM in the seating research department and we took measurements off real subjects, using a machine to gather a data file to be used in seat design.
If you get the basic dimensions and angles construct one from scrap or pine 1 xs to get the proportions right. Just use drywall screws for the joinery at this stage. Then you can decide if you want tradition joinery, mortise and tenons, dowels, Domino plugs, lap joints and so forth later.
A chair is not an easy project for a beginner, and may challenge your skill level, but that's a good thing. I'm sure someone here will have advice on how to construct it once we know where you are headed. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode