tabletop attachment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

View ortho1121's Photo Album My Photos
tabletop attachment

My farmhouse table build doesn't include an apron, only end pieces and center stringer. How would you attach the top? Would the Rockler metal clips work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 01:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The metal clips are designed for use with an apron. I think you could get getter answers if you would post a picture of what you have. You might be able to use something like this. https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...p-instead-of-a Just use a minimum for the weight of the table you have. Too many especially if they were placed in the wrong place could create wood movement issues.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 04:03 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Cut a dado along the end supports and use this type which will allow side to side movement:
Attached Images

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
If doing a "hybrid" modern build, then something like what Frank is recommending is an option...

If you are actually building (or trying to build) the "real thing" I would need to see the design as you currently have it to give the best advise possible. I build several of these a year, and most are jointed to the two trestle ends and the bridge in some fashion. It all should be easy to break down and does not require hardware of any kind.

Good Luck,

j
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Yes I am building one with trestle ends and a center support. How do you attach your tops?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Will those clips Frank showed be sufficient to support a tabletop attached only at the ends?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-16-2019, 06:02 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
Will those clips Frank showed be sufficient to support a tabletop attached only at the ends?
Hi Orhto,

Well...no not really if you want a proper job of it? They can be made to work, but aren't really intended for this application...

Table Top Clips (aka Apron Clips) are a product steaming from mass production post Victorian Age and the Industrial Revolution. It's a "dumbed down" method of construction that has slowing (like many things in modern woodworking?) seeped into the world of day to day practice of the craft as we find it now. They are meant (mainly) for table designs with aprons and for "mass production" tables manufacture (for the most part) and not higher quality tables. I have used them to repair tables that are already designed with them in place, but I don't design and/or build with them for the most part.

Harvest, Farm, and related "Folk Style" furniture are from a much older (ancient actually) system of building furniture akin to the buildings they often found themselves used in like timber frames...and...built pretty much the same way...with green wood and all wood joinery.

We don't need to explore the "greenwood" traditional side of this for your project since you're already trying to finish the design you have out but we can discuss the many different ways to attach (and/or position?) your top on the supporting framework.

It's going to be rather difficult to really recommend an approach without seeing what you have design and built thus far? Sliding Spline Keys...a single locked trunnell in the center of the table top and then into the trestle frame on both ends...dovetail sliding through tenon with wedges into trestle frame...toggle binding (rare and I'm the only one that does it in this country that I know of?) ...or a simple peg or dovetail key are but a few of the traditional methods that work well for these marvels tables of history!

Post some pictures of the trestle and table top (from underneath as well) and the dimensions, and I might be able to suggest something germane to your needs?

Regards,

j
post #8 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I have never built a trestle table with a center support.

I have used a lower stretcher and 2 upper stretchers. The upper stretchers run as far outside the top of the trestle legs as practical. This wil give better lateral support as well and reducing any twisting motion of the legs. then add a center piece at right angles to the later stretchers. You can use the above clips on this center piece as well as on the trestle legs.

Anyway, thats just a guess until we can get to see some pics

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #9 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
I use buttons I make up that fit in a slot in the tenon.

The second image down.

I mortise a slot in the trestle and place a button about every foot.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 11:50 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
No pix yet .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
My farmhouse table build doesn't include an apron, only end pieces and center stringer. How would you attach the top? Would the Rockler metal clips work?

I see either of two methods of construction:
One is where the trestles alone support the top.
The other is where the center spline/stringer is also flush with the top.

If it were me, I would drill slotted holes at the ends of the trestles for screws to allow for movement in the width. I don't see a need for additional fasteners in the spline to secure the top, but as an option they could be used since there is only movement from the center outwards.

You need to decide if you want lateral or vertical restraint or both.
If you lift the table by the top, the most common method, dowels or pegs won't work, but they will prevent lateral movement from bumps or sideways pressure.

It's hard for me to envision dovetails as a means to secure the top, but that's just me. Here's a video I found that does it without any fasteners:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode