Stand alone wood rack and shelves - design help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Jeff G

View buktotruth's Photo Album My Photos
Stand alone wood rack and shelves - design help

Hi everyone,

I'm in desperate need of a wood rack and some shelves for organizing my basement shop. I want to keep this build rather simple as it will strictly be a functional product (no need for outstanding aesthetics in my basement), so the plan is to do this all out of 2' x 4's and left over 3/4"plywood. I put together a basic model in sketchup (attached) but have a few questions.

First, some limitations:

1. I have a low ceiling, so my max height for this rack is 69" (i'm squeezing it under a heating vent).
2. The width is constrained to just under 8' (plenty of room for most of the lumber I buy)
3. I'd like to stick with basic construction to get this done quickly. So, wood screws are my main form of joinery (though I can adjust as suggested).
4. The unit has to be stand alone for a number of reasons related to the layout of my basement and so it will not be attached to any walls. Theoretically, I could screw it down to the concrete floor, but I’d rather not do that if possible.
5. The top two “shelves” will be for lumber and the bottom two will be for loose items and some smaller power tools (circular saw, jigsaw, sanders, etc…). So, this will need to support a fair amount of weight, but not a ton.

My questions:
1. As you can see in the images and model, my main risers and feet are made of two 2x4s joined together (or, I can grab some 4x4s). Is this overkill? Will a single 2x4 hold the load okay? If I need the 4x4 strength, any tips on joining two 2x4 beams? I was thinking of simply screwing them together with 3” wood screws.
2. I’m using 45 degree angled support beams to hold everything in place. I’ve designed it so that all the supports are identical to make the build simpler. Is this sufficient, or should I add some metal reinforcement?
3. I’d like to build the four vertical structures (vertical risers, feet, shelf racks, supports) as individual units and then attach them together with some kind of cross beam structure (I just have 5 2x4s in various places holding it all together right now). This will hopefully again make the build easy as it will be all repetitive and uniform. So my question is, is this a good idea?
4. Related to the last point, my biggest unknown is about the cross beams that hold the four vertical pillars together. Is that enough support? Should I have diagonal braces as well? I’m clueless on this one.

Thank you for any help you can give! I’m in “shop organization” mode right now, and having this build will be a huge help.
-Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood rack 1.jpg
Views:	2576
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	20975  

Name:	wood rack 2.jpg
Views:	14015
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	20976  

Attached Files
File Type: skp wood rack.skp (82.0 KB, 304 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
I am no engineer but I do like to pretend. It does seem to me that you would be better served by rotating your risers 90 degrees. You could even sandwich your risers around the shelf supports. It would be easier to build and give you better strength, or at least, that is how I see it. Whether it will hold the load you want, I don't know.

Of course power tools and alcohol don't mix. Everyone knows power tools aren't soluble in alcohol...
post #3 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Jeff G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I am no engineer but I do like to pretend. It does seem to me that you would be better served by rotating your risers 90 degrees. You could even sandwich your risers around the shelf supports. It would be easier to build and give you better strength, or at least, that is how I see it. Whether it will hold the load you want, I don't know.
Great point. I think that would definitely add some strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 06:56 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on what you put where, beware of toploading. I tied mine to a couple of 1st floor joists just to give some anti tipping help.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Jeff G

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEl View Post
Depending on what you put where, beware of toploading. I tied mine to a couple of 1st floor joists just to give some anti tipping help.
Unfortunately, that's not really an option since right above it is a heat duct.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 07:17 PM

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
Wood storage is / was my first up project. I aecured two 10 foot pieces of Kindorf. to my garage ceiling. I ran them at a 90 degree angle to the ceiling joists and used a 1/4 inch lag bolt and a fender washer to secure it to every joist that it crossed. From the Kindorf on the cieling I used threaded rod to make cross pieces that ran parallel to the joists and at a 90 degree angle to the first kindorf. It will hold a tremdous amount of weight and by using threaded rod and more Kindorf, you can accommodate all sorts of needs.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Quite a few ideas here: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&b...qi=g1&aql=&oq=

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-13-2011 at 07:56 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Jeff G

First of all, thank you everyone for your suggestions! I did some redesigning and spent the weekend putting the wood rack together.

The sketchup file is attached for those that are interested.

Slooooowwwwly the shop is coming together. Next up is an outfeed/assembly table. More on that soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	21361  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	21362  

Attached Files
File Type: skp wood rack v2.skp (80.0 KB, 283 views)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 AM

View Firewalker's Photo Album My Photos
That's pretty fantastic! Well done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode