Soft maple and poplar table base - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

View beauman22's Photo Album My Photos
Soft maple and poplar table base

Hello.

I am looking for some input on a dining table I am currently building.

As of today I already started milling the 8/4 white oak for the top, and I will start the base early next week.

The plan was to do the legs and apron in soft maple but my local wood supply doesn't carry 8/4 soft maple for the apron. The legs are going to stay soft maple but now I need a different option for the apron. The base is going to be painted black so two different Species for the bottom is okay.

Should I do 8/4 ash or poplar for the apron? face glue two 5/4 boards after milling? I'm also going to keep looking in my area for 8/4 soft maple but if the guys I went too today don't have it usually nobody else does.

I want a thick apron since the table is 7 feet long and 38 wide and the 8/4 white oak top is going to be pretty damn heavy.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you and let me know if you need any more info or clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

I should note I can get my hands on 8/4 ambrosia maple as well.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think if you are going to make the table out of oak the skirt should be oak also. There is quite a bit difference between the appearance of white oak and ash. If you are going to paint the base I don't understand what you are thinking about the ambrosia maple for. Structurally there isn't a great deal of difference between soft maple and poplar.

I can already tell the table is going to be so heavy it will probably take 4 people to move it around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2015, 06:38 PM

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
Imo you would be fine with some 5/4. A true 1" ( or if it's nice n flat 1.125)by say maybe 5" would be fine for a stretcher. You gain some but not as much strength as you might think with thickness. Depth or height will determine that.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYWOODS View Post
Imo you would be fine with some 5/4. A true 1" ( or if it's nice n flat 1.125)by say maybe 5" would be fine for a stretcher. You gain some but not as much strength as you might think with thickness. Depth or height will determine that.

Thanks for the info. I actually just received the same exact info from a friend of mine so with two of the same opinions I will proceed with that route. I am going to do the soft maple 4x4 legs and use 5/4 soft maple for the apron but at a width of 4-6 inches.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2015, 03:35 PM
widdle

View widdle's Photo Album My Photos
What was your final build/decision/thoughts?

Hello, I saw this thread after I was searching the web for someone doing what I am doing and found your comments. I am working on a live edge white oak dining table, 7' long at 1-3/8" thick varying width between 38-40 inches (because of the live edge)...the table is ready to receive a finish so it's all milled. I have been going back and forth on what wood type to use for the legs and apron and wonder what you decided? You mention in the thread that you started out with an 8/4 table top...what did you mill it down to and what did you decide on the wood type for the legs and aprons along with the height of the apron?...the thread mentioned that you are considering an apron of 4-6 inches, but depending upon your table thickness and the seat height on your chairs, that many not permit someone's legs to get under the table comfortably. With my table thickness, I am thinking of an apron height of 3-7/16" which if I am going for a "standard table height of 30", will leave 25-3/16" between the bottom of the apron and the floor. I would like to go with more height on the apron for more vertical support of the table, but not sure how much more I can spare. I am interested in your comments and if you have any pictures to share of your project that would be great.

Thanks.
widdle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode