6Likes
  • 2 Post By sunnybob
  • 2 Post By Packard
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 9 Old 09-26-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

View Lachawieca's Photo Album My Photos
Sofa table stabilization

I imagine that this isn’t exactly what the forum is for but I was still hopeful for some ideas.

I making this table to a be a industrial style sofa table/ bar table. It’s meant to sit behind the sofa facing the tv with some bar stools to have a beer or even some food during a party(think Super Bowl).

The issue is that(as I’m sure many of you have probably already figured out) the table isn’t as stable as I’d like it to be for beer glasses behind a sofa.

The legs are all industrial black pipe, nothing special, with some furniture pads underneath. I am able to play with the feet to make it flat and even but if I were to lean on it while standing up, it would like top over.

Any ideas on stabilizing it besides just getting a bigger piece of wood and width out the legs? Also, don’t want to bolt it to the laminate floor, of course.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F86B9147-8E5A-4514-978E-25E766A22D97_1538004538129.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	366572  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The frame of the table is made of 3/4" black pipe like you use with natural gas. If you look at the picture at the feet it has floor flanges on it. Those are probably screwed to the floor. That is what makes that table stable. If screwing it to the floor isn't an option you could screw it to a couple of 1x4's large enough to keep it tipping over.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 08:12 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
With that height and width, that table will always be unstable unless screwed to the floor. in a room with a bunch of party people, you dont stand a chance of stabilising it any other way. Even adding weight to the base will not help.
GeorgeC and Tool Agnostic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 10:15 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
If there is room under the couch, then make the legs much longer to reach under the couch. The added length will provide substantial stability in one direction and the added weight will help in the other direction. You can also ballast the ends of those longer legs for better stability.

Hospital over-bed tables use this configuration for the legs. Though the table top also does, you do not have to.

In your case you can screw the legs to 3/4" x 6" by 30" boards that reach under the couch.

https://www.rehabmart.com/include-mt...g&newwidth=650
gj13us and Tool Agnostic like this.

Last edited by Packard; 09-27-2018 at 10:17 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 01:59 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
I make lots of similar tables, you can see them in my Gallery photos. You need to spread the legs further apart which will also allow you to move the long stretcher to between the legs.

Saw Dust Rules

“In God we trust. All others bring data.” - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 04:05 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
You are dealing with a high center of gravity, the wider the legs are apart the harder it will be to tilt over, ideally with something that high the base of the legs would be wider than the top.

Something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (5.9 KB, 39 views)
gj13us likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 9 Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 AM

View Andrew Ray's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you all for your advise and guidance!

Sorry for a late reply. I can’t get the website to work well with safari on my phone. Google chrome is great though.

I think spreading out the legs on the bottom is what I’ll try first. That seems like a nice way to do it without hanging the style too much.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=Andrew Ray;2011224]Thank you all for your advise and guidance!

Just spreading out the legs without adding horizontal extensions IS NOT going to work. That table is just not wide enough for you to be able to get any meaningful spread of the legs.

George
FrankC likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-28-2018, 11:09 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, there are dozens of photos of similar tables online, however most of them are designed to be against a wall holding knick-knacks.

You can't argue with physics or control excited super bowl fans, a base that narrow is an accident waiting to happen.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode