Small Cabinet Advice please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 06-30-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

View Zatara's Photo Album My Photos
Small Cabinet Advice please

Evening all. I lurk here for tips but don't post much lately. But I'm working on a new project that I wanted to get some advice or input on. Its a small cabinet to sit on the floor for holding my suitcase and workbag when I'm home. The main space will be devoted to the suitcase and a couple smaller bags. There will be a drawer toward the top for work items to be and maybe for my wife to put my mail while I'm away.

The cabinet is ambrosia maple. I like the material but I'm going to have to fill the holes the beetles left. For this I'm thinking starbond black CA or similar. Any others I should consider?

I've routed dados for the bottom shelf which is picture below. I've also routed a rabbet for a piece of 1/2" birch plywood to go in for the back. I hesitate to glue it due to possible expansion. So I don't know if a couple brad nails would be better just to keep it in place, or maybe a spot of glue top and bottom then the rest unsecured to allow for movement. I don't think the plywood will move but the maple may?

Also when I milled the boards I used a straight edge sled as I lack a jointer. I thought it was good but there is a small gap in one of the glue ups. I'm not sure if its okay or maybe a couple bow ties for strength over the years. Thoughts? It's the board with the tape measure for scale.

Pics below will show where I'm at so far. Thanks for any tips. This is the most complicated project I have tackled so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.jpg (327.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0410.jpg (382.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0413.jpg (423.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.jpg (381.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (307.5 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
You can't glue in the back unless the side grain is running vertical. But I wouldn't do it anyway, as if a repair inside the carcase is ever necessary you can't remove it. I think screws are better, but nails can be used, too.

If a jointer is in the budget, a 6" used one will be better than nothing, and are pretty cheap.

Personally I would address the glue joint with a #7 jointer plane. If you think this is a possibility for you, check around for a used Stanley, maybe a rough one that needs refurbishing. I will warn you in advance to be very careful, as these long planes can be warped DAMHIKT.

OTOH, if you're really serious about it, I believe a WoodRiver #7 will run you about $350.

Regardless, if you plan on jointing lumber without a power or hand plane, there ways to do it with a router.

Robert
post #3 of 3 Old 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

View Zatara's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks. I picked up some pattern bits for the router so will be able to fine tune the boards next time. May pick up a 6" planer when the budget allows.

I ended up grabbing some CA glue and filling the holes that way. And the bind between the two slightly dodgy board joints isn't as bad as I initially thought so I think it should be fine.

Will definitely screw or brad nail the backer in like you mentioned in case I have to get in there for any reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode