sliding miter saw work station ?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

View Buckhunter's Photo Album My Photos
sliding miter saw work station ??

I'm looking for a plan for a sliding miter saw work station . Anyone have any suggestions or pics of their own they want to show off ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Do you want the work station to be portable or will it be stationary? I have a buddy who built one that he carries from site to site, but it is not collapsable, is very heavy, and takes up lots of space in his trailer. But it is quite a good design for a stationary application. In fact I am going to duplictae his design with a few modifications when I re=arrange my shop - hopefully this lifetime . . . .
post #3 of 8 Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

View Buckhunter's Photo Album My Photos
I'm thinking of a stationary work station
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
A stationary sliding miter saw work station is most usefull if you have at least 8 ft on both sides of the blade. The platform should support a 1x12" with enough room to grab the board and slide it both directions. The fence should have a sliding stop block that can be used on either side for multiple cutting. It`s a good idea to keep this block a little higher than the cutting surface to keep saw dust from being trapped between the stop and work piece. If you`re building the extension wings on a flat table... you can build-in storage areas. Secure the saw and check the extension wings with a door level. I hope this helps

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2008, 04:46 PM

View Roger Sargent's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Stationary mitre saw work station

I'm planning a stationary sliding mitre saw station so I'm glad Buckhunter asked. Does anyone have any more tips, such as how to set it up and adjust it to the saw. I'm using a Makita 10" sliding saw.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhunter View Post
I'm looking for a plan for a sliding miter saw work station . Anyone have any suggestions or pics of their own they want to show off ?????
This work station is in The New Yankee Work Shop. That Norm has it all.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure

Last edited by Handyman; 08-25-2008 at 09:41 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Makita scm saw and here are my thoughts
From the front legs to the back pushed all the way back is 29" it is also important you remember to make a foot print measurement of the saw fully pushed back in full bevel position left to right so you leave enough clearance. Because your moving the saw foward and backwards it is also important you anchor that saw so it won't budge and the same goes for the fence.I know this sounds like common sense but trust me take the time to make this solid as a rock so you won't have problems later.
A flip stop is a major assett to this whole set up, right now all I have is a t-track dadoed on the top of the fence and I used a piece of heavy aluminum L that slides in the track. Problem is you have to remove it and you lose your setting so building one or buying one would be the way to go on this.
When your designing this hole set up keep in mind " Dust Collection"
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 PM

View David K's Photo Album My Photos
Handyman says
Expert = Drip under pressure

Well, for those who under-estimate the wisdom of newcomers, "An expert is a Spurt that's already happened".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode