Slab table design and considerations - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

View Jaredbc's Photo Album My Photos
Slab table design and considerations

I'm about to pull the trigger on some walnut slabs and wanted to get some advice from you all. I have build tables in the past but never a slab table. I am looking at two slabs and the table will be about 8 ft long. I have seen slab tables like this that leave about a quarter inch gap between the two pieces down the table top. Is this done to allow for movement? I have also seen dominos or floating tenons used between the pieces. I'm guessing this is to keep the table flat. I'm going to be constructing a steel base with square tubbing and probably a steel runner down the length of the table to stop the table from racking. I was planning on using lag bolts and elongated holes to attach the top to the base. Please leave any advice that might help me on this new adventure! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-30-2015, 03:37 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
All wood is alive whether in finished form or rough slabs, is controlled by moisture/humidity, and needs a little extra room to "breath". Consider studying other tables in a similar design to get ideas for your project. Be safe.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-31-2015, 12:37 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Jaredbc the drawing tablet with live edge is as extreme as any form I've ever seen....there's very few hard core rules except what you or your client likes....I've glued solid tops and done the 1/4" thingy, done with hard curves on one and another almost straight, even beautiful metalwork on one and another all mortise and tenon with roman numerals....the greatest part is on 2 of the tables completely differ styles the owners know each and are always teasing the other by saying".... well I'm glad to know the person who owns the 2nd prettiest table Tim's ever built....". They're both beautiful tables built with their own personalities.

The best info I can give you is... 1) PLEASE make sure the MC internally is correct PRIOR to starting. Thick slabs require special drying techniques for the most stability. 2) make arrangements to let the top float 3) ENJOY the build AND 4) the number 1 rule here is POST PICTURES of the build and finish product!!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode