Simple wooden chess pieces - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
David

View Catchwrestler's Photo Album My Photos
Simple wooden chess pieces

I'm fairly new to woodworking and I really want to start making this set. It doesn't look too difficult. I'm looking to get started right away. Any suggestions on wood type? And what steps to take to make the pieces?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180212_110626_1518462891118.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	341081  

Name:	20180212_110933_1518462925431.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	341089  

Name:	20180212_110843_1518462948492.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	341097  

Name:	20180212_110756_1518462982085.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	341105  

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
although not vertical original style pieces, I wouldn't call them simple. they appear to be walnut/maple. they would be started on the lathe, but the tops look like they are an inlayed emblem and a circle. pretty nice inlays.

someone more inlay knowledgeable will chime in....
post #3 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute go ahead and complete you profile with first name and location - we don't bite. Ok, some do, but most don't.

What tools do you have? Which woods are available to you, wherever you are? Do you have a dedicated shop area in which to work on this chess set? You might be able to buy the inlays for the particular pieces and then fashion the round pieces by hand if you don't have a lathe or access to one. It would be time consuming and they likely wouldn't be perfect, though.

Are you wanting to make the board, too? What do you have in the way of clamps, table saw, etc. to cut the wood to size and glue the pieces?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
David

My name is David and I'm from Portland Oregon. For whatever reason I can't seem figure out how to update my profile. I have a table saw, chop saw, band saw, and various drills and sanders, unfortunately no lathe. Thanks guys much appreciated!

David
post #5 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 PM

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Hi David, you might want to check this video out. Izzy Swan makes a lot of drill powered stuff, including this mini-lathe. Welcome to the forum.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchwrestler View Post
My name is David and I'm from Portland Oregon. For whatever reason I can't seem figure out how to update my profile. I have a table saw, chop saw, band saw, and various drills and sanders, unfortunately no lathe. Thanks guys much appreciated!
Ah! Interesting... The land of bacon doughnuts, bike lanes and too many bridges eh? Tis a good land, despite the large amount of short comings.

In the left corner of the screen under the red bar you should see "User CP" click on that you you should find the section called "Edit your details" on the right.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
... also the land of Powell's Bookstore and Voodoo Doughnuts. Those are "must stops" when we are in the area. I think my children are finally outgrowing the doughnuts, but not the bookstore. I am not a doughnut person, but also check out Blue Star doughnuts; there are several around the Portland area.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Go to the upper right hand corner, David, and you'll see 'User CP'. Click on that and it will take you to the control panel where you can add details.

Simple wooden chess pieces-002-user-control-panel.jpg

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Hello and welcome, David. I bought my squares online because I thought they would be cut on a CNC and would be more precise than what I could do. As far as cutting they did good but the wood was terrible as you can see in the picture. The wood they used is ash and walnut. Their choice of wood was good but hard maple would be better.

PS-I think the bad walnut was because it was steamed to get the most out of a board. Steaming makes the white wood turn darker which I don't like.

Last edited by hawkeye10; 02-14-2018 at 08:32 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
Hello and welcome, David. I bought my squares online because I thought they would be cut on a CNC and would be more precise than what I could do. As far as cutting they did good but the wood was terrible as you can see in the picture. The wood they used is ash and walnut. Their choice of wood was good but hard maple would be better.

PS-I think the bad walnut was because it was steamed to get the most out of a board. Steaming makes the white wood turn darker which I don't like.

It's a lot easier to cut 8 strips and glue together, then recut the strips and flip them end for end to make the checker board

There is no app for experience
post #11 of 12 Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
David

Wow guys! Thanks for all the input. I think moving forward with this project, I need to buy a cheap wood lathe from Harbor Freight. I know it's not ideal, but I can probably pick one up for $79.99 plus a 20% coupon. I also need to research how to do wood inlays. TimPa brought up a good point about the inlays, they look intricate and time consuming. That's a nice looking chessboard, Catpower. Thanks for the tips. I want to make my own board eventually too. I especially enjoyed everyone's view of Portland. You guys hit the nail on the head lol! Portland is a unique city for sure. Our motto is "Keep Portland Weird." I work right down the road from Voodoo Donuts. That place is popping all day long. And yes we have our shortcomings....they say every rose has its thorns and Portland is nicknamed the Rose City for a reason. Maybe once I get this chess set mapped out and finished I can start selling full sets out of my garage to offset the cost of living here...it aint cheap lol! If you guys have anything additional, please chime in. I'll keep you guys posted on how the project is coming!! Thanks again.

David
post #12 of 12 Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Wow guys! Thanks for all the input. I think moving forward with this project, I need to buy a cheap wood lathe from Harbor Freight. I know it's not ideal, but I can probably pick one up for $79.99 plus a 20% coupon. I also need to research how to do wood inlays. TimPa brought up a good point about the inlays, they look intricate and time consuming. That's a nice looking chessboard, Catpower. Thanks for the tips. I want to make my own board eventually too. I especially enjoyed everyone's view of Portland. You guys hit the nail on the head lol! Portland is a unique city for sure. Our motto is "Keep Portland Weird." I work right down the road from Voodoo Donuts. That place is popping all day long. And yes we have our shortcomings....they say every rose has its thorns and Portland is nicknamed the Rose City for a reason. Maybe once I get this chess set mapped out and finished I can start selling full sets out of my garage to offset the cost of living here...it aint cheap lol! If you guys have anything additional, please chime in. I'll keep you guys posted on how the project is coming!! Thanks again.
The Voodoo behind glorious Buckman Field or the one downtown? Downtown scares me so I never really venture too far near it, not to mention the crazy traffic it has.
If you are just starting out in woodworking then I would suggest holding off on trying to sell things until a while later when you perfect your techniques.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode