Simple Push Block Plan - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

View Bearcreek's Photo Album My Photos
Simple Push Block Plan

I got tired of using scrap to push wood thru the saw and I am to cheap to buy a store bought one, so I designed and posted this simple push block for anyone else that needs to build one.

Here is the link to the plan:

http://www.bearcreekwoodproducts.com/block.pdf

If you need the DWG let me know and I can send it to you. (Besure you tell me what version AutoCAD you are running)

.....It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. ~ Hank Aaron

Last edited by Bearcreek; 01-29-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work!

My favorites are these. The forces applied are down and forward with the wrist in a relaxed, natural position.
LIke pointing your index finger as shown:

The other fingers lock through the large center hole for a very secure grip, no tipping.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-28-2010 at 07:29 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Nice job to both of you. I'm HUGE on safety in the shop. It's a hobby that I really enjoy and the last thing that I want to do is lose a finger (or worse) and not be able to work on my hobby. Push sticks and blocks are often over looked by a lot of newbie woodworkers and it's great to see that you guys are not neglecting the safety aspect.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
My favorites are these. The forces applied are down and forward with the wrist in a relaxed, natural position.
LIke pointing your index finger as shown:

The other fingers lock through the large center hole for a very secure grip, no tipping.
I like those...I am build me some smaller ones like those also

.....It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. ~ Hank Aaron
post #5 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM

View oldschooltools's Photo Album My Photos
Yes how many of us are using scrap timber?? looks great both options is that mdf that it is made from? could just be my screen, have been contemplating in making a hardwood push stick but could end up an expensive project the amount of times I push into the blade!!!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooltools View Post
Yes how many of us are using scrap timber?? looks great both options is that mdf that it is made from? could just be my screen, have been contemplating in making a hardwood push stick but could end up an expensive project the amount of times I push into the blade!!!
yea...its just some scrap MDF I had lying around

post #7 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
I use pretty much the same style as Bearcreek. I make up 6 or so at a time. I have a master mdf template and use a flush trim bit to copy them to whatever scrap (usually 3/4' ply) I'm using.
My 'push edge" is fastened using glue and two, 1/4' dowels.
I also add a strip of 80 grit sandpaper to the horizontal surface.
I gave one to a friend a few years ago. I asked him if he was using it. He said no, he didn't want it to get all chewed up by the saw blade. Some people

Never lick a steak knife.

Last edited by Rob; 01-29-2010 at 01:22 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I gave one to a friend a few years ago. I asked him if he was using it. He said no, he didn't want it to get all chewed up by the saw blade. Some people
That is too funny

post #9 of 15 Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM

View Zircon's Photo Album My Photos
Not as well made as Bearcreek's

but it works for me. It is a float with a notch that I purchased at the masonry section of HD. With a wide board I use it flat with the attached cleat and it holds the board tight against the fence. With a narrow board I hold it on edge and my hand is to the right of the blade, not over it and the handle rides nicely along the fence and I have the comfort of a piece of wood between the blade and my hand. Yes, I use the guard almost always. I am a belt and suspenders man when it comes to safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768 (Small).jpg
Views:	670
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	13230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1769 (Small).jpg
Views:	395
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	13231  

post #10 of 15 Old 01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm stuck in Tulsa right now so I can't show you pictures of mine but I made the push out of oak and then dovetailed the bottom and used scrap pine for the shoe. When the shoe is shot I dovetail another piece of scrap and reshoe. Seemed like a good idea at the time anyway.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I'm stuck in Tulsa right now so I can't show you pictures of mine but I made the push out of oak and then dovetailed the bottom and used scrap pine for the shoe. When the shoe is shot I dovetail another piece of scrap and reshoe. Seemed like a good idea at the time anyway.
Good Idea...post a pic when you get a chance

post #12 of 15 Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 AM
where's my table saw?

Maybe it's like this?

deleted

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-04-2012 at 07:47 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
where's my table saw?

Happy 1 year Anniversary to me!

Today is the last day for me to post for this year of being a member here for 1 year. It's been great fun so far, and made some great buddies/friends, pissed off a select few and like wise. It's a great forum with generous and talented folks willing to share their experience. The Moderators TT and Daren do a great job as well. Looking forward to another year here.
Hope I have helped a few folks along the way, since what goes around comes around, and I've learned a lot as well. Thanks Guys! bill
BTW 2,413 posts in one year!....Gotta get a life beyond WWT.....

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-01-2010 at 06:26 AM.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
BTW 2,413 posts in one year!....Gotta get a life beyond WWT.....
Wow!! I have only 6 months to post 2,224 more times to catch you

post #15 of 15 Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Ok Bill here's the deal maybe you have pissed off a few, that life. MHO (my honest opinion) you have gave great advise to more fellas than you have pissed off . I,m glad i joined this forum, and thats because of guys like you and C-Man, Kenbo and a whole slew of others. I don't think the BHOFM helps a whole lot of people so i wish he would just grab his walker jump in his boat and sail away, or move to TEXAS.

Last edited by garryswf; 02-01-2010 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode