Simple Bench Design Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

View ssgtjoenunez's Photo Album My Photos
Simple Bench Design Question

Greetings all!
I am new to the forum having been referred over from the DIY Chatroom. I have recently begun building my own projects and am excited to learn more from everyone here.

My question revolves around a simple bench project I am working on. I own a laundromat and would like to build two benches. My question has to do with adhering the benches to the floor. We are creating a 'kids area' complete with TV running kids movies in a loop. To that end I need to create a bench and then adhere it to the floor using concrete anchors so that the kids can't move it or hurt themselves with it.

The problem I run into is that I am using 4x4's for legs (wrapped in a simple 1x4 frame with 23/32 plywood for a sitting space - cushion to be added as well) and there is no easy way to anchor them to the floor. One idea is to use L brackets and the other is to add another board to the bottom for the sole purpose of providing the flat surface necessary to bolt to the floor.

Either option presents a material weakness that with enough blunt force could easily be broken. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas to anchor 4x4's using concrete anchors that did not create such obvious weak spots.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 PM

View Acercanto's Photo Album My Photos
There's probably half a dozen different steel anchor options that would work.
If the benches are up against a wall, it might be an option to anchor them to the wall.

Hope that helps,
Acer
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Might I suggest, instead of using 4x4 legs, make a "cubby box" as your bench. Then you could quite easily anchor it to the floor and there would also be space for putting toys, playing games , etc. A box made with a few sections of plywood verticals would be more than strong enough for adults to jump up and down on (especially with heavy ply like you mentioned in your post) and will be quite suitable for children to play on/around. Something like one of these: http://www.bradleycorp.com/plastic-l...-bench-lockers.

Dado the slots for the verticals and then just secure the whole bottom to the floor with concrete anchors used for sil plates on slabs. Paint it in place and you're golden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
Might I suggest, instead of using 4x4 legs, make a "cubby box" as your bench. Then you could quite easily anchor it to the floor and there would also be space for putting toys, playing games , etc. A box made with a few sections of plywood verticals would be more than strong enough for adults to jump up and down on (especially with heavy ply like you mentioned in your post) and will be quite suitable for children to play on/around. Something like one of these: http://www.bradleycorp.com/plastic-l...-bench-lockers.

Dado the slots for the verticals and then just secure the whole bottom to the floor with concrete anchors used for sil plates on slabs. Paint it in place and you're golden.
I had thought of something like this but we have no real need for storage. We tried offering our patrons kids toys and simple things for the kids to play with and the customers ended up stealing them. For that reason I don't really need any storage as I'm not about to repeat that mistake twice :P

I like the idea of the steel couplings in the previous post. I'll probably end up doing something like that.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I went ahead and installed my new benches today. Here's how they came out.

I went with 4x4 u shaped adapters anchored using tapcons.

Came out rather nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2733704140.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	87336  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3840116142.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	87337  

The Following User Says Thank You to ssgtjoenunez For This Useful Post:
Acercanto (01-19-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode