Should I use Full Overlay or Half Overlay hinges? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

View made2hack's Photo Album My Photos
Should I use Full Overlay or Half Overlay hinges?

I want to install two doors on this cabinet using European (concealed) hinges. They will be installed on a Frameless structure made of 18mm panels on the outside and a 27mm panel on the inside that is shared by one door and on the other side by drawers (see diagrams).

I understand that if two doors share the same panel, they use Half Overlay hinges (as per Rocker website). However, in this case, the door will not be sharing the interior panel. On the other side, there are shelves (in this case) and drawers in another case. Furthermore, the interior panel is thicker (27mm vs 18mm) than the exterior panel.

Should I still use half overlay hinges? Or use Full overlay as the door on the outside?
Hope the diagrams explain.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upstairscabinet.png
Views:	42
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	368675  

Click image for larger version

Name:	overlay-hinges.png
Views:	43
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	368677  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 12:00 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Actually your diagram shows using both sides full over lay now. Since the right side is thicker, that is what I would do, use full over lay on both sides and adjust the drawer fronts accordingly.

If using two different hinges on the doors, there would have to be extra width of the drawer front to keep the same margin. Another thing is you would have to make both doors the same width to make them look correct, then using the two different hinges it would throw off the center alignment of the doors. I would still go with the full over lay on both doors to keep it simple. JMHO

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Last edited by BigJim; 11-27-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 02:06 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
agree with bigjim
if you were using the same width frame, you'd need full on one side and half on the other
since you have a wider frame use full on both and plan the drawer front accordingly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 04:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Think if it this way, full overlay and the door can overlap the side 3/4" and half overlay 3/8". The first sketch of the cabinet shows a doubled side that is 1 1/2" thick. The full overlay won't overlap the entire face like the drawing below it. The area in question a half overlay would be appropriate.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

View made2hack's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone for your input!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2018, 01:29 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I would go with one full, one half on drawer side, calculate total width of the two doors taking consideration of where half door ends, then divide in two, so both doors are same width.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Tags
european hinges, hinges, overlay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode