Shop cabinet - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Crazytiki

View crazytiki's Photo Album My Photos
Shop cabinet

I am thinking of making a cabinet of osb do you think that would be strong enof to hold a bunch of tools? Other info the cabinet will be about 4ft wide 2 ft deep and 2 feet tall. the osb is 1/2" and will be hung on the wall about my band saw and drill press. I just have sheets left over from a job and trying to find uses for them I was thinking of doubling it up to make it stronger but not sure if that would really help. Should I just go get some 3/4 ply?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
WHWoodworking

View WHWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to WHWoodworking
I built several work tables with osb and 2x4's, suspending them between the poles in my pole barn. Since OSB is designed to sheath vertical walls, it does tend to sag after awhile, when used horizontally, if you don't give it plenty of support so I'd use a 2x2 or 2x4 framework. Otherwise, it should be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to WHWoodworking For This Useful Post:
crazytiki (11-03-2011)
post #3 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 AM

View woodpkr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiki View Post
I am thinking of making a cabinet of osb do you think that would be strong enof to hold a bunch of tools? Other info the cabinet will be about 4ft wide 2 ft deep and 2 feet tall. the osb is 1/2" and will be hung on the wall about my band saw and drill press. I just have sheets left over from a job and trying to find uses for them I was thinking of doubling it up to make it stronger but not sure if that would really help. Should I just go get some 3/4 ply?
if you where to put some verticle supports in at 2 feet you should be ok, i would not use osb for a 4 foot span, if your going to load up those shelves with tools i promise you the shelves will sag..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I agree that 4' is too wide without support. Depending on the sizes of the sheets you have to start with, you might consider making them less than 2' deep. That's pretty deep to hang off a wall. It's deep enough to make access difficult and things can get lost behind something. You might also consider just making 2' wide boxes...they might be easier to handle and to install.

If you are cutting sheets to maximize a 4' x8' sheet, for a depth you would get 3 pieces at 15 7/8" (approximately). Using 1/2" sheet goods, even with plywood doesn't afford much to support good joinery. I would use dadoes and rabbets with an 1/8" depth, and glue/clamps/fasteners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode