Shaker bedroom - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

View BruceC's Photo Album My Photos
Shaker bedroom

I am looking to build a bedroom set in the shaker style. I plan on using walnut lumber to build it with. My hope is to use a flat panal of walnut plywood on the sides of all peices. Is this a true style of shaker? Where is a good place to get plans? I hope to build a triple dresser, wardrobe, night stand and a penicl post bed. Might try a few other peices if I find the time and plans.

Thank for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2007, 02:44 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Walnut! You must be a millionaire. walnut veneer on MDF would be more practical.
johnep
post #3 of 4 Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 AM

View Scott Daniel's Photo Album My Photos
Degrees of Shakerness

With Shaker furniture, you first need to decide what level of authenticity you are trying to achieve. The Shaker's didn't use plywood, but that doesn't mean that you can't. Also, I generally think of lighter woods for Shaker furniture (cherry especially). The Shaker chest of drawers I built for my son is cherry with no plywood. I even built the drawer bottoms from solid frame and panel poplar and maple. That said, I'd probably never do it again. It was too much work. I'd use solid wood for the outside and plywood for the drawer bottoms. Authentic is nice, but I have a limited lifespan.

Using plywood for the casework is much faster and cheaper, but it will look like plywood, not solid wood. If you decide to use plywood, I wouldn't use MDF. It's just too heavy and I can't imagine the price is low enough once you put a walnut of cherry veneer on it to make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 PM

View Orson Carter's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Bruce3,
Forget the ply people, build in solid timber. Looks better and tou'll feel better within youself.

Get a copy of "Making Shaker Furniture (with measured drwaings of Museum classics)" by John Shea. Dover Publications http://www.doverpublications.com

I used the book to make this. Its solid Peruvian Walnut, with Fijian Plantation Kauri for the drawer sides. All mortise and tenon and half blind Dovey joints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaker-chest.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1013  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode