Setting up shop/ router jigs - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 11-20-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Pete_drums

View pete_d's Photo Album My Photos
Question Setting up shop/ router jigs

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I am trying to set up a shop to make nesting drums. They go together like Russian dolls to facilitate easy load-in/travel.

I want to route a 1/4 turn slot and dowel fastening system into a lap joint on the inside seam of the cut drums. I have attached a drawing.

For the slot, I want to cut it into a full drum shell (22" diam x 24" deep) on one edge at 4 locations (12,3,6,& 9 clock positions), then cut off the 4" section of the shell with the slots in it and repeat the process on the remaining drum until I'm out of wood.

To do this I envisioned a router that can follow a pattern on 2 dimensions in the xz plane, with the plane running tangent to the curve & the drum sitting on its bottom edge (bit would be oriented horizontally). I thought maybe I could clamp the drum into lazy Suzan type table top that spring pins and locks at the quarter points. I did the math and for an 8" wide pattern along the circumference of a 22" drum, the bit depth is only required to be 3/4". I just haven't been able to find any 2D trace jigs that are oriented for vertical cuts.

As I am new to wood working, any input would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-20-2014, 12:52 PM

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe create a track that the router could ride (using a round base). The track would have the same radius and keep the router the same distance from the material. You put the track in the drum cylinder, clamp it down and then push the router along the track. I think you'd need to create a curved base for the router to prevent it from rocking. The curve radius would be the same as the track and the drum cylinder. Make sure you clamp everything down securely.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilBa For This Useful Post:
pete_d (11-20-2014)

Tags
patterns, router jigs, vertical routing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode