Sealed Guitar wall display case - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
mike z

View funghi2's Photo Album My Photos
Sealed Guitar wall display case

hi all, first post. was hoping you guys might be able to guide me on a project i had in mind

i have a really nice guitar that doesnt get played much because it sits in its case most of the time. in the moment i reach for my beat up guitars i hang on my wall. being in nyc they all have humidity cracks hence the reason i dont keep the nice one out. i got to thinking why couldnt i just build a display case i could mount on the wall? it would have to be sealed with some sort of gasket, would have to be lockable, and as low volume interior as possible to make it easier to keep humidity in.

I went online and found the perfect case but im not inclined to pay $1000+ for it! CLICK HERE

- this seems to be the dimensions: 46" height; 8" width top, 23" bottom; 8" depth
- for humidity i will use 2 way humidifier packets, will add a hygrometer in there as well
- was thinking a piano hinge for the door, acrylic for the door window, and 3 Drawbolts to lock the door
- finish will be piano black paint so fancy wood isnt a must . thinking 3/4" ply for case sides and door and 1/2" ply for the back.

my main issue is how to join the angled corners of the case and doors. was thinking finger joints but i dont know how that would work at an angle? trying to avoid having to build some complicated jig. or maybe just gluin in som splines to the corners. then i was thinking maybe keeping it simple and just miter/glue the corners but dont know how sturdy that will be

i never tried building anything like this before so any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by funghi2; 01-09-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I am surprised that the humidity in New York City is causing dryness problems. Is it because of your home air conditioner system? What numbers are you seeing in your living quarters?

George
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute you might add your first name to your signature so we know who we're talking to, and add your location also because it helps with questions like this. Right now we know NYC but that's not something we'll remember.

I've considered building some like the one you referenced but just haven't taken the time. I would probably spline the joints on the back side like I did these in a rectangular door recently -

Name:  004 - Splines, close-up.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  005 - Spline sanded flush.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  85.1 KB

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
mike z

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I am surprised that the humidity in New York City is causing dryness problems. Is it because of your home air conditioner system? What numbers are you seeing in your living quarters?

George
i live in a condo here no central a/c. winters ive been seeing 5-20% which is way too low for guitars that should be 40 -50
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
mike z

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute you might add your first name to your signature so we know who we're talking to, and add your location also because it helps with questions like this. Right now we know NYC but that's not something we'll remember.

I've considered building some like the one you referenced but just haven't taken the time. I would probably spline the joints on the back side like I did these in a rectangular door recently -

Attachment 334058

Attachment 334066

David
profile updated ty.

pics look sweet , what do you think would be stronger splines like that or THIS
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
mike z

i found a video of something pretty similar.
i dont understand how he cut the box joints for the door with a jig. he say he didnt run the saw thru the jig all the way thru, would this be tough to do ?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Wood machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghi2 View Post
profile updated ty.

pics look sweet , what do you think would be stronger splines like that or THIS
No, I think what you've shown would be stronger. But in my case the door isn't thick enough to do more than one and the customer I'm building this for didn't want to see splines, so I hid them on the inside (he was ok with that).

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
post #8 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Wood machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghi2 View Post
i found a video of something pretty similar. CLICK HERE i dont understand how he cut the box joints for the door with a jig. he say he didnt run the saw thru the jig all the way thru, would this be tough to do ?
It wouldn't be tough to do, Mike, if you have Matthias' fixtures. Without those you could still get it done but it would be more difficult.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
mike z

I don't have all those jigs but I have the table saw and router. Since I'm painting I don't have to use high end wood I'll mess around w some plywood and see what happens.

On another note I don't like that backing he did. Was thinking 3/4 or 1/2 plywood. If I go. That direction should I route a rabet into the plywood so it fits snug or just cut to case size then glue n screw?

Last edited by funghi2; 01-10-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode