saw horse top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ortho1121
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

View ortho1121's Photo Album My Photos
saw horse top

Any thoughts on using a hollow core door as a top for saw horses. They are flat and light but will they hold up?
new2woodwrk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2017, 03:20 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
Any thoughts on using a hollow core door as a top for saw horses. They are flat and light but will they hold up?
If you are not putting anything very heavy on top of it it will work out. It's just two sheets of 1/8" plywood with strips of cardboard edgewise between. You would have to use the door as is. There is just a 3/4" thick frame around the parameter. If you cut the door anywhere you will pretty much ruin the door.
FrankC and new2woodwrk like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2017, 08:46 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho1121 View Post
Do you have a purpose for the saw horses and the door?

I've used these for cutting plywood sheets - they're very cheap (Habitat sells them for $2) and if I cut into it, I just bought 2 more.

I now use a plywood sheet base made out of 1x4's which is not as cheap but more effective for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-16-2017, 03:33 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Depends on what you will be doing, as a surface for light duty projects it would be fine, however a proper workbench needs to be sturdy enough to allow one to pound on it to drive nails, cut with a chisel, etc, which your door will not be suitable for.

A better alternative would be a solid core door which can be obtained from used building supply outlets at a reasonable price.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #5 of 8 Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
I have a hollow core door with folding legs attached that I use all the time in my shop. They will sag and eventually break if you overload them but it's a handy thing to have. I even put a carrying handle on the side to make it easier to move around.

Dave in CT, USA
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2017, 04:11 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It is good enough for anything that I would need to do on a temp, saw horse bench. I have used one many times.

George
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2017, 05:13 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
An old solid core door makes a much better work top. Unlike the hollow core, you can clamp hard on it and put much weight on it.
Flat hollow core doors are good to cut into 12” width boards, slip more reinforcement into the cut edge and make lightweight shelving.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 8 Old 11-16-2017, 07:59 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I use a hollow core door on saw horses all the time. If I'm clamping its usually on the side or top where there is wood structure. If I need a wider surface put the door away and use a set of bi-fold doors that I put on the saw horses hinge side down.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode