Quick Work Bench Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

View Cunningham26's Photo Album My Photos
Quick Work Bench Question

Just getting into woodworking, and building a 8x2x3 workbench with 2x4s and 3/4" plywood on top.

On each corner, the legs will be two 2x4s, and I was planning to cut out 1.75 or .75 of each board to allow the stretchers (width and length respectively) to be flush in the legs. Will that compromise the weight capacity of the bench or cause any other issues? Is there an ideal joint at the corners I should be using, that can be done by a total dummy with a jigsaw, circular saw, router and drill?

Appreciate the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	238706  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0-1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	238714  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 AM

View 1acre's Photo Album My Photos
If you go three layers of 2x4's, you'll have a much stronger leg, although I am sure you can get away with 2. You'll still need to notch some boards, and I would to with a circular saw over the jigsaw.

Below is how I made my workbench, just using glue, clamps and some framing nails (screwed in the cross members). It went fast and I had it built before lunch (sans the top). You can kind of see my 3 layer leg sandwich. I would skip the milled 2x4 top. I'm thinking about selling it and building a new one with some sheet stock on top.

Quick Work Bench Question-img_20151112_184555.jpg
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
What your are trying to cut is called a lap joint - simple and effective if the 2X4 remains in the vertical position. It would weaken the 2X4 in the horizontal position.

As for the top of workbenches - flat and smooth is what is needed, so by all means, do use sheet goods.

Nice looking bench 1acre, but if you are gluing your boards onto the bread board (end board), then you may have a problem in the future. Wood tends to expand and shrink along its' width. When I build my tops with breadboard ends, I only glue the middle 4 inches or so and let the rest of it slide.

Glad to have you guys on board... it's a GREAT forum

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-21-2016, 05:14 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I'm partial to mortise and tenon legs myself mainly because they look great, but also the weight is distributed better. There's no side cut in the boards. I went with a 2x4 laminated top which made the top 3.5" thick which is pretty beefy, but does take a ton of planing to get flat unless you go with a router sled (which I might do at a later time).
Just because it's very popular online you might want to check out Paul Seller's design. It's fairly easy to build and can be taken apart and put back together within minutes and I think is darn sturdy.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode