Question of wood choice -outdoor project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By JohnGi
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

View BitOArt's Photo Album My Photos
Question of wood choice -outdoor project

Hi, First post here, glad I found this forum.
I've don't some simple woodwork in the past, but now that I'm retired I expect to take on more involved projects.
Right off the bat though, I have what I hope is a basic question. It's on material.
I would like to build a patio table/stand for my brother-in-laws "Large Green Egg" BBQ.
I've found a few designs on line and most look do-able with patience, but I'm stuck on the type and where to buy it.
Looking up the wood the authentic Green-Egg BBQ stands use, turns out it's eastern cedar. They then give it several coats of Urethane.
Problem is, All the cedar I find on line or at Lowes or Home Depot are 1/4" planks. I imagine those are for lining closets or chests.
I know redwood is a common outdoor wood as well, but it's quite soft and doesn't seen appropriate for this kind of project.
Is the another wood I should be looking into that is reasonably weather resistant?
Thanks for any advice!
-Phil

Attached is my initial plan - the BBQ sites into the hole on the left of top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34view.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	381711  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 07:53 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Where do you live. That has a lot to do with the type of wood usually available locally.

George
Tool Agnostic and B Coll like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Where do you live. That has a lot to do with the type of wood usually available locally.

George
I’m in the San Francisco bay area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Go to a real lumberyard, or a place like Woodcraft, or a millwork shop for a good lumber selection. Not sure what you have available in SF, but in NE Ohio we have quite a few choices. White oak is a very rot resistant wood and very strong to boot. I made some Adirondack chairs out of it. You could park a car on them. Cypress is another good outdoor wood, not sure if it's in your area, pretty common in the south.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Go to a real lumberyard, or a place like Woodcraft, or a millwork shop for a good lumber selection. Not sure what you have available in SF, but in NE Ohio we have quite a few choices. White oak is a very rot resistant wood and very strong to boot. I made some Adirondack chairs out of it. You could park a car on them. Cypress is another good outdoor wood, not sure if it's in your area, pretty common in the south.
Mike Hawkins
Thank you. I know white oak is easily available.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 PM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
Cedar lined chests or closets use eastern red cedar. The trees are small, so the wood is very knotty. It is also very fragrant. The Green Egg stand is probably eastern white cedar (arbor vitae). It is very durable when exposed to weather. It's used for boat planking and canoes.
On the west coast you might have an easier time finding western cedars. Western red cedar would be excellent. It is easy to work, available in larger dimensions as the trees are quite large, and very durable.
White oak is also very durable when exposed to weather. It is much harder, stronger, and heavier than any of the cedars. It will be more of a challenge to work it.
Plans for projects like this are commonly made with softwood dimension lumber in mind. Using white oak as a substitute would be overkill structurally. Reducing the members to dimensions appropriate for the working characteristics of white oak may not give you the look you have in mind.
Redwood heartwood is very durable, but the light colored sapwood is not. When only old growth trees were being cut, it was all heartwood; but that isn't always the case anymore.
B Coll likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-07-2019, 07:38 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitOArt View Post
Iím in the San Francisco bay area.

Many, many years ago I lived 40 miles South of SF in San Jose. In those days redwood was plentiful and relatively cheap. I am sure that has changed. But it would be my choice if still available within reasonable cost. I built a deck out of it.

George
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the very useful info JohnGi - I think I’ll go ahead with the Western Red Cedar. It is widely available too.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 AM

View wildplum's Photo Album My Photos
One issue with redwood is that it is relatively soft. It dents easily and the dents. This might be a concern with a BBQ table.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 05:18 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
My choice for a BBQ table would be white oak as well. Probably cost a bit more than redwood, but like wildplum mention redwood is a soft wood and susceptible to dings and dents, not something i personally would want for a fairly heavy use table. Oak is a lot more durable, and stronger for that matter

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #11 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 09:18 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
White oak is a fairly bullet proof wood.
Better have some sharp tools.
B Coll likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode