About 250 gallons.

Will this work?

Pond build-aqua-2-_1586227368960.png
Pond build-aqua-3-_1586227383899.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 06:53 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
That will work fine, be sure to use a 45 Mil EPDM liner. What are you planning to use as a filter?.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

View 808's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeared View Post
That will work fine, be sure to use a 45 Mil EPDM liner. What are you planning to use as a filter?.
Yes 45 was the plan. It's actually for an aqauaponics setup. Stocked to meet need of grow bed.

How would I go about attaching vertical post to the bas and top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Yes 45 was the plan. It's actually for an aqauaponics setup. Stocked to meet need of grow bed.

How would I go about attaching vertical post to the bas and top?
Off topic but my Son and DIL are into Aquaponics. They ditched their corporate lives and went on a Van life expedition. Ended up in Tennessee working for an AP company there(poorly run), now they are working on an organic farm in NJ trying to find some land back here to start their own farm with AP.

Back on topic, I would be cautious with 2x4's and 3/8" ply, 250 gallons of water is a lot of weight, up to 2000lbs, I don't see how 3/8" ply can support that.
Tony B and woodnthings like this.

Last edited by shoot summ; 04-07-2020 at 03:07 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Off topic but my Son and DIL are into Aquaponics. They ditched their corporate lives and went on a Van life expedition. Ended up in Tennessee working for an AP company there(poorly run), now they are working on an organic farm in NJ trying to find some land back here to start their own farm with AP.

Back on topic, I would be cautious with 2x4's and 3/8" ply, 250 gallons of water is a lot of weight, up to 2000lbs, I don't see how 3/8" ply can support that.
I'm just trying to do it as a hobby and provide some vegetables.

I sized down a foot so 5x3x2. And yes I will go with 3/4 ply now.
But how should I attach vertical post?
post #6 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 03:32 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:

I would build a frame bottom and top(at least) outside of the posts to keep them from spreading.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 08:17 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The water will be trying to escape at the edges and corners.....

Quote:
I would build a frame bottom and top(at least) outside of the posts to keep them from spreading.

The liner will help to distribute the forces in the corners but you should use angle iron on the insides and a strap all around the top or at least several inches each way horizontally at the top. I would sandwich the liner under wood strips or metal banding at the top. I'm a believer in overbuilding the first time rather than trying to fix a poorly constructed project after a failure. A massive water leak would be a critical failure and ruin all the flooring and furniture within the area.
shoot summ likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:

From experience 2x4 and 3/8" plywood is fine. The attached pictures are of a pond setup in my basement for my turtles during the winter, it was used for many years before I made the outdoor large enough for them to winter over outside. You will notice I used less vertical supports than you showed in your diagram.
The last picture is only one I could fine of the actual setup, in the trough is salvinia major to remove some nitrates.
Also I did use 2x6 on the top for extra strength and to keep the turtles from escaping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pond1.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	387027  

Name:	pond3.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	387029  

Name:	plants.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	387031  

Last edited by redeared; 04-07-2020 at 09:03 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 08:52 PM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
That's a lot of weight. I believe I'd lock the corners like you would if you were forming a poured wall. At the very least a strong half lap and the reinforcement recommended by Woodnthings.

post #10 of 14 Old 04-07-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I used lag bolts which was fine, all the water pressure is at the base if you lock that in your good, also the plywood makes a skin that ties it into a solid frame. I haven't done hydraulic calculations in 20 years to give you the actual psi.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-08-2020, 07:34 AM

I just wanted to mention that because of the dead weight (2,220#) if not placed on a concrete slab it must be placed against a load bearing wall with the lenght perpendicular to the floor joists.
Every 2-3 years I drain my pond to do maintenance, I make a temporary pond for the fish outside about the same size you mentioned just using 2x4's and 3/8" ply held together with 3" lg sheet rock screws, simple and easy to set up and take apart, honestly the water pressure at that depth is not that great
post #12 of 14 Old 04-11-2020, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm taking your advice.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-11-2020, 06:29 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It has been a long time since I dealt with hydroponics so my memory may be bad. I do not remember any setup where you need your container to be so deep. I had a cousin who hydroponically grew vegetables commercially. I do not think any of his many dozens of containers (made of concrete) were over 12" deep.

George
John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-11-2020, 07:58 AM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
It has been a long time since I dealt with hydroponics so my memory may be bad. I do not remember any setup where you need your container to be so deep. I had a cousin who hydroponically grew vegetables commercially. I do not think any of his many dozens of containers (made of concrete) were over 12" deep.

George
This is Aquaponics, fish will be in the "pond", some additional depth is needed because of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode