Woodworking Talk banner

Platform Bed Design

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cabinetman 
#1 · (Edited)
I've come up with this platform bed design, it's meant to interlock, and need no tools for assembly. All the beams are 2X6, the platform would be 3/4 plywood, the headboard would be made out 2x6 as well, and the legs would be 6x6. Would this work to create a bed that wouldn't squeak or break if someone were to jump on it? And how would I go about actually creating the cuts needed to make this, I know nothing about woodworking.

Below is an animation of my design.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you intend this to be a no tool setup, just slip into place, then yes, you will have squeaks. Great rendering and good thinking, but don't forget, wood moves! The wood will most likely shrink inside the home, esp. construction lumber. The joinery may become loose over time as the wood shrinks.

#4 ·
So basically a design like this is not possible? What if I were to put padding between the connections in the wood, this would account for shrinking and would muffle the squeaks.

And I looked up what gusseting and racking are. Where would this be needed? On the head board?

#5 ·
If you add anything to the mating parts of a joint, you'll still will have movement, but it may be more quiet. Gusseting would be a triangular brace at a 90° intersection preventing movement.

What you do and how you make it might depend on how you want it to go together, and what fasteners are used. If you want it to just pop together...basically without tools, you can only get all the joints together, but not tight. IMO, the mere fact that the parts slip together will allow some movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.