Plans for Home Theater build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

View jburchill's Photo Album My Photos
Plans for Home Theater build

Hello everyone, I'm looking to build a new home theater in my basement. We are moving to a new house, so theater room will all be new. I am taking two rooms in the basement and making it one big room. So I'm starting the planning now because it might take a long time to complete and want to do it right. I'm searching for plans on how to build where the screen will go. Here is what I would like to build. I would say my building skills are intermediate.

I was thinking to start with the cabinets on the left and right side. Has anyone built anything like this before and has any plans to share? I was thinking of doing the front of the cabinet in oak boards, and the sides with oak plywood. And have the front of the cabinet open up so I can get to the speakers.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater.png
Views:	20
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	390373  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 01:37 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
if this is a dedicated home theater space, i'd start here avsforum.com/forum/3-home-entertainment-theater-builder/
some of the builds will blow your mind, there's also a lot on design for newbies and equipment selection
i thought i had a pretty nice setup until i joined that forum
post #3 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 03:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The screen is important but ......

The speaker boxes are also very important for the sound quality. If you intend to build your own speaker boxes you will need to do a ton of research...... folded horns, totally sealed and ducted port or just some of the choices. I have some 18" woofer cabs I built years ago, ducted ports but the technology in sealed or ported powered subwoofers is so much better these days that it may not be worth you time to build your own. I don't use the 18's anymore, just a 15" powered sub.

This guy is an expert in all things audio and owns his own company and has started a few others:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-29-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking of posting in the avsforums. but since i was going to build my own thoufht i would start here for those who built caninets.
im not building speakers i have all of those and they will go in tje cabinets and behind the screen.

some of the avs people have really nice setups and wonder if they built their own. i know some do.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 04:56 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Lessons we have learned:

* Television sets don't last forever. Plan ahead for replacing the television set, and don't assume that the replacement will be the exact same dimensions as the one you have now.

* Think about proper ventilation so your electronics don't cook themselves.

* Think about the wiring behind the components. Make it as easy as possible to access the back of your components when you need to get to the wiring. If you have complex wiring, then keep written records or label your cables well. Think about how you will route the wires between components, and leave extra space for the "excess" from longer cables. You can make or buy custom-size cables, too.

* Think about remote wiring in the wall behind the home theater. Now may be your chance to bring in extra electrical circuits or outlets, Ethernet, cable TV, HDMI, speaker wire for remote speakers or multi-channel (surround sound), etc. We have conduit in the wall behind our home theater. The conduit runs up to the attic for whatever wiring we want, a real boon to us.

* Think about speakers and audio carefully. As @woodnthings pointed out, building the speakers into the cabinet may not yield the best audio quality. (Exception: the center channel should be in the center.) Remember that speakers may need eventual replacement, too.

* Think about how you will move the home theater out of the way when the need arises. Someday you will install new carpet, paint the walls, upgrade the baseboard molding, fix electrical issues, ...
FrankC likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-30-2020, 01:10 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
i was thinking of posting in the avsforums. but since i was going to build my own thoufht i would start here for those who built caninets.
im not building speakers i have all of those and they will go in tje cabinets and behind the screen.

some of the avs people have really nice setups and wonder if they built their own. i know some do.
the picture you posted was a screen to hide all the speakers, most of the home theater builds don't have the components in the same wall as the screen. read some of the design elements of those home theater builds.

like TA posted ventilation can be a big concern, even in my living room setup i have a cabinet without a back to handle all the heat and wiring concerns. 5 to 11 speakers wires, ethernet, hdmi, power, power control, fiber optic, etc.. makes for a lot of wires to prepare for. my 'rack' in on wheels so i can rotate it for wiring access and to change out components. it also matches the fireplace surround i made and is short enough to fit under a window
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	multimedia (4).JPG
Views:	13
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	390435  

Name:	multimedia (1).JPG
Views:	9
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	390437  

post #7 of 12 Old 05-30-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

all the av equipment will be stored elsewhere. im just looking to build the cabinets to hide the left and right speakers. center will be behind the screen. so not worried about ventilation.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-30-2020, 03:49 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
So what is the width and height of this area to be covered?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-30-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

about 15 feet wide and ceilings about 8 feet. it has false ceilings. but i plan to put up drywall
post #10 of 12 Old 05-30-2020, 06:25 PM
where's my table saw?

The center channel ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Lessons we have learned:

* Think about speakers and audio carefully. As @woodnthings pointed out, building the speakers into the cabinet may not yield the best audio quality. (Exception: the center channel should be in the center.) Remember that speakers may need eventual replacement, too.

I've always understood the center channel is to be used for the sub woofer. There are two ways to send the signal to the sub woofer, an RCA cable from the center channel, OR high level outputs from the speakers. This method combines the low frequencies in a different manner than the RCA plugs. It will require a low frequency crossover or bypass. The frequencies below 40 hz are non-directional, so no need for the sub woofer to be "centered" . Those frequencies will be felt, not "heard", so it won't matter where the sub is located. There is a science to locating the sub for best response:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-30-2020 at 08:28 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-30-2020, 06:48 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I've always understood the center channelis to be used for te sub woofer. Frequencies below 40 hz are non-directional, so no need for the sub woofer to be "centered" . Those frequencies will be felt, not heard , so it won't matter where the sub is located. There is a science to locating the sub for best response:
YouTube
When I said, "Exception: the center channel should be in the center.", I meant the center channel, which is focused on the midrange and does not generally go down to subwoofer frequencies. I never said "subwoofer" anywhere in my post. I am not aware of multichannel "home theater" audio system designs where the center channel is expected to be only a subwoofer.

You are correct, frequencies below 40 hz are non-directional, which is why I prefer satellite/subwoofer audio system designs. Our subwoofer is hidden out of sight, not in the center.

Soon after we married, subwoofer placement became the subject of serious negotiations between Spouse and me. We both compromised. Before we met, the subwoofer was perfectly placed for outstanding audio for a bachelor, but I admit it was a trip hazard, which was not a consideration at the time. :-(
post #12 of 12 Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 AM
where's my table saw?

Back in the day of Stereo .....

I started out building audio systems in 1956 with a Seeburg juke box as my first "experiment". It had an electromagnet for the speaker rather than a permanent type. My next real speaker was a Electrovoice SP15 and it's companion T35 tweeter and crossover, strictly a mono system.

I still have both of these, by the way. The amplifier was a 25 watt PA type and the record player was possibly a Webcor or a Garard I can't recall. That was the beginning of a long history of collection audio components and building the Dyna kits from the Allied Radio Co, a competitor to Radio Shack.

So back in those days, the stereo amplifiers and receivers had a center channel output for RCA pins, but no center speaker outputs. You could combine channels by taking the positive (+) from each channel and using those two leads. I used a 50 watt Dynakit for my center channel and powered the SP15 and a Stereo 35 watt per channel for the right and left speakers. It worked great. As a damn fool I actually threw the Dynakits out in the trash because "transistors" had more power. I wish I still had those babies!

These days of 5.1 surround sound the center channel has it's own speaker, not a sub woofer. That's a separate powered speaker typically and not powered by the main system amplifier. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-31-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode