Plans for bunk beds - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By Jay C. White Cloud
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

View Richard Zellmer's Photo Album My Photos
Plans for bunk beds

Anyone recommend a set of bunk bed plans? Or a set of relevant measurements ( ie size to make a twin box). Doesnt have to be free plans. Ultimately I am going to combine two bunk beds and a set of stairs and make a quad bed(for a shore house). I am going back and forth between a free standing bed and making it as a built in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I have heard from several sources that it is best to have your mattress on hand
prior to actually fabricating beds. it seems there can be an inch to 3 inches difference between mattress manufacturers - so shop for your mattresses first - then build the frame.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 10:25 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Using a mattress as a guide, add 2 to the inside width dimension (mattress + 2) and 4 to the inside length dimensions (mattress + 4).
This will give you space for blanket/quilt/bedspread etc. to make the bed.
To hold the mattress you can use slats plywood.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2019, 05:07 PM

View popsx3's Photo Album My Photos
Www.ana-white.com

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
I have heard from several sources that it is best to have your mattress on hand
prior to actually fabricating beds. it seems there can be an inch to 3 inches difference between mattress manufacturers - so shop for your mattresses first - then build the frame.
... but if you mess up, you can order your favorite brand and style of mattress in a custom size (rectangle) for a 10-20% premium over the next larger size mattress. Just ask at the mattress store.

We have an antique bed that is not a standard size. The antique store sold it to us without a mattress. Someone must have misplaced the one that originally came with the bed. ;-)
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Questions please...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Zellmer View Post
...Anyone recommend a set of bunk bed plans?
Yes...my own design's...LOL

But seriously, I would need to know more about your skill sets, what you want...etc?

Quote:
...Or a set of relevant measurements ( ie size to make a twin box). Doesn't have to be free plans....
There out there...many of them and some are pretty simplistic for what is being charged...(sorry, that's my own bias)...Like what Ana-White pedal's as a product line. I think you can do better than that all on your own with some grid paper, pencil, and eraser...A few cups of coffee always help me...LOL...but beverage is your choice...

Quote:
...Ultimately I am going to combine two bunk beds and a set of stairs and make a quad bed(for a shore house). I am going back and forth between a free standing bed and making it as a built in....
Thus far you have gotten some great advise here...other than the "ana-white" suggestion (sorry again...just NO WAY...to those designs for what's charged)

I couldn't strongly enough suggest "free standing." Any good design (and build) deserves to have the flexibility of being an actual piece of useful furniture...(My bias again on that one...)...Other than traditional Sleeping Closet (which many can also be moved) I'm not a big fan of "built-ins.

So, in closing:

1. What are your skill sets?

2. What styles do you like? Country Folk Rustic, Modern, Shaker, etc...???
Tony B likes this.

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-2019, 12:06 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
If it's a small room, you might want to consider a more modern version of Shaker style furniture. Contemporary and Shaker furniture tend to not look so bulky and are more visually pleasing. Also might consider a clear finish or even a painted finish.
Oftentimes in design, less is better. That used to be a big problem for me, I never knew when to stop 'designing'. I have finally, well almost finally, learned to draw what I think I wan't and then go back and simplify.
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode