Planning to build a free standing OTT cabinet - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By johnedp34
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 7 Old 07-26-2020, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

View Pamela Osborne's Photo Album My Photos
Planning to build a free standing OTT cabinet

I am planning to build a new over the toilet cabinet for my apartment; similar to the one seen in the youtube video
. It is going to be larger than the one I have now and I recently picked up some free cabinet doors that I was hoping to incorporate. However, they are 38" tall and I wanted a 6" tall open shelf below. In order to accommodate the growing height I thought I would build it as two separate pieces. The base and upper parts would be joined by 2 to 4 chest latches like those in the picture or follow this link https://www.homedepot.ca/product/eve...kel/1001025183 .

Do you think this is a good idea and would it be safe (I will install with a wall anchor kit to prevent full tip overs)? I just wanted to ask more experienced cabinet makers for their opinions and possible alternative ideas.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pamela Osborne; 07-26-2020 at 04:20 AM. Reason: wrong youtube link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2020, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

is the correct link
post #3 of 7 Old 07-26-2020, 05:23 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
I have a very similar design as a media tower. Holds wireless, TV box etc.
Mine made for me in light oak. Cost $350.
johnep
Pamela Osborne likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnedp34 For This Useful Post:
Pamela Osborne (07-27-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
trunk latches?

The use of those latches depends on the look you want in the end. They would be strong enough if 2 per side ..... just a wild guess. Now for me and my tastes however. A 2 piece build is fine, but I would use a different method to join them. Assuming a flat bottom on the top unit, that connects to a flat top on the lower unit?
I would hang the lower unit onto the wall securely first, leveling it and screwing it to the pre-determined location of the wall studs. Then rest the upper unit on it and secure it to the wall studs also. No need for additional supports as each unit is separately attached.

I use a small hammer to roughly determine the stud location, tapping horizontally as I move across the wall. Then when I hear a solid sound, I use a small drill, 1/8" and drill holes 1/4" apart until I get drywall dust on either side of the stud. Then I mark the center of the stud and can measure over 16" to find the adjacent one. This works for me and the small holes get covered over by the cabinets. Never had one of mine fall off the wall .... just sayin'

My largest, and heaviest is 10 ft wide and 4 ft high, glass doors and multiple shelves with heavy dishes.

Pamela Osborne likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 7 Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

One problem with your suggestion is that I live in an apartment so I can't make that many holes in the wall.

I was planning on making the lower and upper flat where they join as I only have a power screwdriver and manual tools (not even a real drill).

However, I think I am not going to use the free cabinet doors I got so that it doesn't have to be so tall. I'm estimating that the top of the unit would be around 4' above the toilet maybe even taller and the ceiling height is just 8'. (Note: I'm only 5'4".) So it's back to the drawing board for me.

I will post again on this project, especially if I have any questions.

Thanks so much
post #6 of 7 Old 07-27-2020, 09:03 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
There's a different way ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Osborne View Post
One problem with your suggestion is that I live in an apartment so I can't make that many holes in the wall.

I was planning on making the lower and upper flat where they join as I only have a power screwdriver and manual tools (not even a real drill).

However, I think I am not going to use the free cabinet doors I got so that it doesn't have to be so tall. I'm estimating that the top of the unit would be around 4' above the toilet maybe even taller and the ceiling height is just 8'. (Note: I'm only 5'4".) So it's back to the drawing board for me.

I will post again on this project, especially if I have any questions.

Thanks so much

A "no drill" cabinet would rest on the floor with long side runners that straddle the toilet. Then you build your shelves or boxes to fit in between them, all the same width of course. The side runners would carry the weight of the cabinet(s) to the floor. You might need a bracket or 2 holes a the top to keep it from tipping over. The self stick mounting pads would also be good for that, no holes.

Adding the info about living in an apartment made a major change in the advice given.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 7 Old 07-27-2020, 11:56 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You cold put 4 adjustable feet on the cabinet and adjust the two in front a little heavy which wold put the pressure towards the back...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode