picture frame design ideas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
picture frame design ideas

I'm trying to design a frame for a picture that my mother painted decades ago. It's painted on a thin hardboard covered with canvas, and is 24"x18". It's an abstract scene of a jazz trio on stage, the colors are different shades of blue. I want the frame to reflect the mid-century modern jazz aesthetic. I tried a few different mock-ups and none of them are what I want. The latest iteration is to frame only the corners, extending a few inches along each edge of the picture, leaving most of the painting unframed. My idea is that the frame would be minimalist, be creative without drawing attention away from the picture. The frame's function would be to merely hang and support the picture away from the wall.

The sticking point is how to secure the corner pieces to each other and so as to hang it. Run wire between the corner pieces? Will tension warp the picture? (It's already a little warped because it's been leaning against various walls in attics and bedrooms and closets for the past 50-some years.)

Ideas?

Or should I just give up and make a basic thin black stained rectangular wood frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Mount the painting on plywood first....

After it's secure and stabilized, you can do anything you want regarding a frame .... or frameless, which ever. If the plywood extends beyond the painting by a 1/2" or so, it will not be visible but you can attach the frame to it. You would want to paint it a color that matches the paintings colors.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 3 Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
In all probability the backing is not going to do anything that it has not done over the past 50 years, add the corner blocks if you wish, however the painting will have to be hung from points lower than them anyway. Perhaps put some loops in the cross wires that the wire to hang it can be attached to.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode